adding chips or sawdust to a pellet maze

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

howea

Original poster
Sep 6, 2021
First post!!!

Has anyone added chips/sawdust to pellet maze to enhance the smell?

We have some native hardwoods in New Zealand that emit a distinct aroma, but cant get them in pellet format (only coarse sawdust/chips/chunks etc)

I'd like to burn the lightest smelling pellets (apple) and add some sawdust or chips on top to give it a distinct (but also light) smell.

I use chips mixed in with the tube . Works good . Never tried it with the tray .

I think it is mostly a matter of size. Too small (like sawdust) and most of it will fall through the holes of the maze. Too large, and it might go out prematurely, or flare. Might still save any under/oversized material for your next campfire, though?

First post!!!

Has anyone added chips/sawdust to pellet maze to enhance the smell?

We have some native hardwoods in New Zealand that emit a distinct aroma, but cant get them in pellet format (only coarse sawdust/chips/chunks etc)

I'd like to burn the lightest smelling pellets (apple) and add some sawdust or chips on top to give it a distinct (but also light) smell.

In my experiences:
For the Maze, Sawdust works Great !!

However it should be one of the following:
Bought from a reputable place, like Amazing Smoker.

Or from the following woodshop machines:
Table Saw. (Best)
Radial Saw (Best)
Miter Saw (Best)
Shaper
Band Saw
Drill Press & Horizontal Boring Machines.

The dust from Sanders is too fine, such as Wide Belt Sanders, Drum sanders, Spindle sanders, Vibrate Sanders, portable belt sanders, Edge Sanders.

Shavings from Planers & Jointers don't work so good.

Bear

Reactions: bauchjw and howea
B8q6222.jpg
This is what the "sawdust" that A-Maze-N sells looks like, and back when I bought my first tray it only had vertical dividers. When they came out with the combination pellet/sawdust tray it had peaked ^ dividers. I've used some dust with pellets in my combination tray, but not the other way around.

View attachment 510014
This is what the "sawdust" that A-Maze-N sells looks like, and back when I bought my first tray it only had vertical dividers. When they came out with the combination pellet/sawdust tray it had peaked ^ dividers. I've used some dust with pellets in my combination tray, but not the other way around.

I was one of Todd's testers:
The Single inner walls "AMNS" were the original, but only good for Dust. Pellets would get too hot, and jump across from row to row. Also AMNS had a problem in a high heat smoker (over 200° or 230°)
So after much testing, Todd came up with the Double inner walls in the "AMNPS". This keeps the pellets far enough apart to keep the fire from jumping rows, unless you fill it too full.
So:
AMNPS is good for Pellets & Dust.
AMNS. is only for Dust.

Bear

I was one of Todd's testers:
The Single inner walls "AMNS" were the original, but only good for Dust. Pellets would get too hot, and jump across from row to row. Also AMNS had a problem in a high heat smoker (over 200° or 230°)
So after much testing, Todd came up with the Double inner walls in the "AMNPS". This keeps the pellets far enough apart to keep the fire from jumping rows, unless you fill it too full.
So:
AMNPS is good for Pellets & Dust.
AMNS. is only for Dust.

Bear
Small world. Early on Todd sent me a tube to test against the AMNPS tray.... something to do with my "mile high" elevation. Turned out it worked just fine.

Small world. Early on Todd sent me a tube to test against the AMNPS tray.... something to do with my "mile high" elevation. Turned out it worked just fine.

Yup---I couldn't help him with high altitude tests, since I'm only about 300' ASL here.
So the Tube became the Goto for you guys at High altitudes, and for Bigger Smokers who want--need more smoke.
The AMNPS was perfect for my MES 30 & MES40.

Bear

Did Todd sell out to pitboss? I got an email the other day from A-maze-n and the link took me direct to the pitboss site.

Did Todd sell out to pitboss? I got an email the other day from A-maze-n and the link took me direct to the pitboss site.
The parent company starts with a D but Pit Boss is now selling the smoke generators on their site. I have enough of the A-Maze-N pellets and dust for about a year, so I'm in the market for another brand that has 100% flavor wood pellets..... not something that is 25% cherry and 75% other wood.

EDIT - Dansons USA appears to be the new owner/co-owner.

Last edited:
The parent company starts with a D but Pit Boss is now selling the smoke generators on their site. I have enough of the A-Maze-N pellets and dust for about a year, so I'm in the market for another brand that has 100% flavor wood pellets..... not something that is 25% cherry and 75% other wood.

EDIT - Dansons USA appears to be the new owner/co-owner.
View attachment 510014
Hi all, new member here, I just called pitboss/dansons and they said they did not buy out A maze n so I'm not sure what's going on but I need to get some more dust, anybody find a good new source yet?

Maybe Dansons has entered into some form of partnership but their home page shows the A-Maze-N logo, and the A-Maze-N website link takes me to the Pit Boss site.

To answer your question I have not found a sawdust supplier for my cheese generator, or a small batch 100% 'specific wood' pellet dealer.

I've been recently burning some apple chips in my AMNPS with apple pellets and have yet a problem with outages or flareups. Now that I've boasted about it, watch it do a number to me during next smoke.

Maybe Dansons has entered into some form of partnership but their home page shows the A-Maze-N logo, and the A-Maze-N website link takes me to the Pit Boss site.

To answer your question I have not found a sawdust supplier for my cheese generator, or a small batch 100% 'specific wood' pellet dealer.
Make the dust like daveomak daveomak does by grinding pellets in a old meat grinder.

Make the dust like daveomak daveomak does by grinding pellets in a old meat grinder.
Roger that. I've already started playing with that method and I bought a $10 mini blender that has potential. Misting pellets with water breaks them down too, but then drying is involved.

Heat was the main reason I liked using sawdust instead of pellets for cheese and my mini-WSM was the perfect smoker. If I switch to pellets I might be able to use one of my drum smokers with the lid blocked open.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I never really put any thought into the saw dust I use in the maze. I just load up what I have on hand and go for it. it will burn it all, I've never had it not burn through it.

Well, I will try to cut some wood up in my Cabinet shop and see if I can get the right texture. I've done it before and it needs to be a mix of course and fine to burn correctly, not sputter out . I received an answer from A maze n on FB, they said problems with suppliers but they have oak, so do I , lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky