Accidentally submerged probe braided wire in sink. Should I be worried?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cheesetoast

Original poster
Dec 31, 2019
I recently bought an wireless thermometer and while I was cleaning the metal end of the probe, I didnt realize a portion of the braided side (wire) was submerged in water in the sink. Should I be worried that can be broken? I plan to not use the probe for a week so it can completely dry so I can test it.

I always get mine wet when I wash it and have never had a problem.
nice. I am new using the wireless thermometer and I enjoy it. Just hope it didnt break on my 1st attempt. I hear the probe manufacture do care about their customers so if anything goes bad, I'll contact them.

Usually more of a concern if you get the area where wire meets the probe wet. Do that and your begging for prove failure.

Usually more of a concern if you get the area where wire meets the probe wet. Do that and your begging for prove failure.

Its just got the middle portion of the wires submerged. I did wipe the wire/probe with a lightly moist watered towel to wipe off the smoke grease off. After researching, I think its better to wipe the wire with alcohol. *crosses fingers*

Reactions: jcam222 and buzzy
I've gotten mine wet here and there when washing. I just let it dry thoroughly before using again. Never had a problem.

Reactions: negolien
I’ve also gotten mine wet with no issues. I suppose the silver lining is that the probes are replaceable when they finally go.....

Reactions: negolien
I’ve heard this before. I have about 3 screwed up FireBoard probes. I’m going to have to try this on them

Let us know if it works. I've got probably 5 or 6 digital probe thermometers dating back 25 years or so. Whenever a probe has 'failed' by getting wet, heating them in the oven always fixes them and I've never had to throw one out. Water getting inside shorts out the wires - you just need to get the water out.

I can't speak for all brands but Maverick 732 Probes were notorious for dying if you got water in the probe. I never tried Baking mine but even after drying for several weeks in a kitchen drawer, it never worked again...JJ

Reactions: jmtyndall
I never tried Baking mine but even after drying for several weeks in a kitchen drawer, it never worked again...JJ

Jimmy, they won't dry out just laying there - you need to get it hot enough so that the water will boil off.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I've moved on but thanks for the Education...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky