• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Accidentally submerged probe braided wire in sink. Should I be worried?

Cheesetoast

Joined Dec 31, 2019
I recently bought an wireless thermometer and while I was cleaning the metal end of the probe, I didnt realize a portion of the braided side (wire) was submerged in water in the sink. Should I be worried that can be broken? I plan to not use the probe for a week so it can completely dry so I can test it.

Cheesetoast

Joined Dec 31, 2019
I always get mine wet when I wash it and have never had a problem.
nice. I am new using the wireless thermometer and I enjoy it. Just hope it didnt break on my 1st attempt. I hear the probe manufacture do care about their customers so if anything goes bad, I'll contact them.

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Usually more of a concern if you get the area where wire meets the probe wet. Do that and your begging for prove failure.

Cheesetoast

Joined Dec 31, 2019
Usually more of a concern if you get the area where wire meets the probe wet. Do that and your begging for prove failure.
Its just got the middle portion of the wires submerged. I did wipe the wire/probe with a lightly moist watered towel to wipe off the smoke grease off. After researching, I think its better to wipe the wire with alcohol. *crosses fingers*

Electric88

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 10, 2020
I've gotten mine wet here and there when washing. I just let it dry thoroughly before using again. Never had a problem.

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
If the probe gets water in it, it's any easy fix. Just place it in a 300F oven (leave the plastic connector end out) for 3-4 hours.
I’ve heard this before. I have about 3 screwed up FireBoard probes. I’m going to have to try this on them

JCAP

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 12, 2019
I’ve also gotten mine wet with no issues. I suppose the silver lining is that the probes are replaceable when they finally go.....

bregent

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Mar 1, 2014
I’ve heard this before. I have about 3 screwed up FireBoard probes. I’m going to have to try this on them
Let us know if it works. I've got probably 5 or 6 digital probe thermometers dating back 25 years or so. Whenever a probe has 'failed' by getting wet, heating them in the oven always fixes them and I've never had to throw one out. Water getting inside shorts out the wires - you just need to get the water out.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
I can't speak for all brands but Maverick 732 Probes were notorious for dying if you got water in the probe. I never tried Baking mine but even after drying for several weeks in a kitchen drawer, it never worked again...JJ

bregent

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Mar 1, 2014
I never tried Baking mine but even after drying for several weeks in a kitchen drawer, it never worked again...JJ
Jimmy, they won't dry out just laying there - you need to get it hot enough so that the water will boil off.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
I've moved on but thanks for the Education...JJ

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.