ACA warning for Vets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tjnamtiw

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 31, 2013
NE Georgia
I just got some info today from the VA about VA health coverage and how it relates to ObamaCare aka ACA that should be of great interest to Vets.  If you have VA coverage, it is considered 'minimum coverage' so that you wouldn't get fined every year for not having insurance.  HOWEVER, if you also want to get extra insurance off the 'exchanges', whatever they are!, since you have the minimum acceptable coverage through the VA, you will NOT be eligible for any of the subsidies that lower your premiums!

You family, if they aren't vets, WOULD be eligible for the subsidies.  This would come as a shock if you're shopping for insurance.  Of course, if you're retired, you have TRICARE so you're all set......... well....... 

Last edited:
My cousin is 70 and retired Air Force and he still gets TRICARE.....???  I'll ask him to make sure.

I worry more about the young guys and gals getting out after one tour and assuming that they will need to get ObamaCare even though they have some VA coverage.  

Last edited:
Thanks for the Craniums Up....Still AD (Active Duty) but now retirement eligible...I was wondering how they were going to hose Vets through the VA.

Richjt92...

I was reading my Medicare booklet just now and it said that if you keep Medicare Part B, you can continue with TRICARE after 65.

I thought I left this stuff behind me on Facebook, apperintly  I was wrong
Not sure if this was a jab at me, but there was a thread asking for vets to check in and since there were a LOT of them, it only seemed natural to inform them of this hiccup in the ACA.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky