AC Sticks

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by nepas, Feb 21, 2012.

1. fife

fife Master of the Pit

YUMMMM [​IMG]

2. I sure wish you lived next door.  I would bring the brews.

3. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Using 17mm collagen

Thanks everyone.

4. Nepas,

If you don't mind me asking where do you order your 17 mm casings from? I have only been abel to find them in mahgonay and i noticed your's are clear.

5. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I buy my casings by the caddy from Dupey in Clive Iowa.

http://www.dupeyequipment.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. bluebombersfan

bluebombersfan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

WOW that's a lot of casings!!!!

7. frosty

frosty Master of the Pit

Masterful work,  looks delicious.

8. chainsaw

chainsaw Smoking Fanatic

I would like to know too just ran out of the regular hog casings I had time to get more.

Those are awesome at any length!

9. nepas

17MM

10. What does the buttermilk stuff do for flavor? 

11. I have been doing recipes for a long time and very recent that I get into the pre-prepped stuff.  Is the 116 a spice/seasoning mix?  Don't recall seeing it at Bass Pro, who carries it?  Also, I am intersted in your 70 day method.  I just did up a batch of salami and put some aside for that.  Letting it deep freeze to kill off anything in the pork fat before I start but nothing ventured... they look tasty and I am looking for a bett method/recipe so gonna have to try this.

Pat

12. Cowboy, et al, I get the snack size casings at BP.  May not be as good a price but similar nonetheless.  Course, never thought of buying in bulk and with a hobby like this... heh.

13. gersus

gersus Smoking Fanatic

x2

14. nepas

Buttermilk powder has whey which acts as a binder and lactic acid that will give a slight tang but not as much as f-rm-52 AKA Bactoferm.

15. nepas

If your asking about my 70 days for dry fermented salami?

16. nepas

ACLEGGS Stick seasoning #116 is not carried at BPS, Cabelas, Gander or Academy. I buy my AC Mixes at a Meadow Creek. BBQ In New Holland, PA. You can find AC mixes online or case buys on the AC site.

17. Oh man, I love this stuff.  It looks wonderful.  Just give me 3 or 4 sticks on a plate with a bit of spicy honey mustard dipping sauce and wheel me over to where I can watch the sun set.  A person's day couldn't end any better.

18. These look awesome.  I do have a question on cure though.  Does it come with the snack stick seasoning or is it something you purchase on the side?  Is it simply Morton's tender quick or will that work?  Thanks for the help

19. nepas

No

You need to buy cure 1 or MTQ. Cure 1 can be purchased at TSM, LEM, Gander Mtn, BPS and many other online stores. Cure is in the stores at BPS and Gander.

Cure 1 and MTQ are different types of cure and not advised to mix together.

Lots of folks use MTQ. IMHO Cure 1 is the best way to go.

20. Thanks nepas.  Hey I was looking at your pictures did you make the hydro powered horizontal sausage stuffer? Would you mind sharing how?