AC Leggs Pepperoni Snack Stick question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Omnivore

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
Hi everyone, it's been awhile since I've had fun with the smoker but deer season is upon us and I need to test out some recipes!
I just bought some 17mm collagen casings and a pack of AC Leggs pepperoni snack stick seasoning. The instructions say it is optional to add ECA. Has anyone used this particular spice blend and know if I should add the ECA (along with any extra pepper or garlic)? My husband said he doesn't care for the snack sticks with a ton of tang, but I do think that at least a little bit is necessary for a rounded out flavor. Thank you for any advice!

Yes i have used all the AC Leggs. Adding extra ingredients to the AC is your taste, wont hurt anything

ECA will give a tang. How many pounds are you making?
Dont grind the ECA and dont use too much or the meat will get watery and nasty. ECA starts to work at a meat temp IT of 140-150*

Yes i have used all the AC Leggs. Adding extra ingredients to the AC is your taste, wont hurt anything

ECA will give a tang. How many pounds are you making?
Dont grind the ECA and dont use too much or the meat will get watery and nasty. ECA starts to work at a meat temp IT of 140-150*
I think want to do just 5 pounds to try it out. How much ECA would you recommend? Also my stuffer holds 11 pounds but I've heard people mention that it's harder to get the right pressure with the bigger stuffers. Think that will be a problem? Thank you for your expertise!

I think want to do just 5 pounds to try it out. How much ECA would you recommend? Also my stuffer holds 11 pounds but I've heard people mention that it's harder to get the right pressure with the bigger stuffers. Think that will be a problem? Thank you for your expertise!
If your husband dont like a huge tang, i would use 2 level tsp of eca. Mix it in by hand.
Yes thats true on the stuffer. I have two LEM stuffers. 5 pound and 20. The larger stuffers are hard to get the last 3/4-1 pound out. My 20 is motorized and will only go down so far, my 5 goes all the way down.

I use 3 tsp per 5 pounds. I'm curious to see how you'll like it with 2 tsp.
Yeah I'm worried that if I do too little then it will just taste kind of flat. May have to make his/hers batches lol.
Do you add any specific quantities of other spices to the kit besides ECA?
Also, I feel like this question is probably a sacrilege on this forum but any thoughts on using liquid smoke and throwing them in the oven instead? We just bought a new house and there is no covered area to keep the smoker out of the rain. Which is crazy because it's rainy Oregon! So just thinking about a back up plan in case the weather is garbage.

Yeah I'm worried that if I do too little then it will just taste kind of flat. May have to make his/hers batches lol.
Do you add any specific quantities of other spices to the kit besides ECA?
Also, I feel like this question is probably a sacrilege on this forum but any thoughts on using liquid smoke and throwing them in the oven instead? We just bought a new house and there is no covered area to keep the smoker out of the rain. Which is crazy because it's rainy Oregon! So just thinking about a back up plan in case the weather is garbage.
I'm sure you'll taste a slight twang from it. I've never used anything from AC Leggs. But I've heard good things about them. So I don't know if the spices are fine out of the package.
LIQUID SMOKE??? My god man!! :emoji_laughing: I use it all the time if I'm making SS, jerky, or summer sausage in the oven. I use the stuff from TSM. It is good. And 2 tsp for 5 pounds of meat gives it a nice smoky taste.

I'm sure you'll taste a slight twang from it. I've never used anything from AC Leggs. But I've heard good things about them. So I don't know if the spices are fine out of the package.
LIQUID SMOKE??? My god man!! :emoji_laughing: I use it all the time if I'm making SS, jerky, or summer sausage in the oven. I use the stuff from TSM. It is good. And 2 tsp for 5 pounds of meat gives it a nice smoky taste.
Haha ok thank you! I'm glad to see other people have the same mindset sometimes. Ok last question. Is ECA different from regular citric acid? I think the answer is yes but I wanna make sure before I buy new stuff and wait a week for it to get here. Here is what I have left over from candy making. It's pretty dang sour. Looks like regular white cane sugar.
IMG_20200930_192859.jpg

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200930193028972.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200930_192859.jpg
    IMG_20200930_192859.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1
ECA is different. Non encapsulated citric acid won't do the same. Encapsulated citric acid is citric acid coated with cotton seed oil. The coating doesn't dissolve until approx. 150 degrees. Which gives the tang in meat. Adding normal citric acid can cause the meat to be mealy/grainy.

Haha ok thank you! I'm glad to see other people have the same mindset sometimes. Ok last question. Is ECA different from regular citric acid? I think the answer is yes but I wanna make sure before I buy new stuff and wait a week for it to get here. Here is what I have left over from candy making. It's pretty dang sour. Looks like regular white cane sugar.
View attachment 465222
View attachment 465223
Yes ECA is different than regular CA.
ECA has a food grade capsule which the CA is in. What you have there is powdered or granular citric acid (CA) Carefull with the one you have it will start to act almost imediatly where as the ECA will start at a temp of 140-150 and then disperce into the meat.

The CA you have if used too much will make the meat mushy and grainy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky