A Tribute To My Friend (Sausage Master)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I honestly think that is the best way for a person to live on...let others enjoy what you have done. Thank you so much for posting this.

Rick,
The recipe for Lebanon Bologna by you and Paul, I don't have the equipment to make the fermented style. If I removed the F-RM-52 and used ECA per package directions and smoked in a regular manner is there anything else in the recipe that I would need to change because of the elimination of the F-RM-52. And for a complete rookie why is there dextrose and dark brown sugar.
Thanks for your help
5BD's
You can use ECA but keep in mind that ECA will not ferment the meat, it only add a tanginess imitating a fermentation agent. Dextrose is needed for fermentation of the FRM, Dark brown sugar is traditional for lebnun bologna (dark color)

What a Great Honor to bestow on a Friend, and a Great place for anybody to go for some Great Recipes!!
Good on You, Rick!!
Like.

Bear

You can use ECA but keep in mind that ECA will not ferment the meat, it only add a tanginess imitating a fermentation agent. Dextrose is needed for fermentation of the FRM, Dark brown sugar is traditional for lebnun bologna (dark color)
Rick ,Thanks so I can just remove the Dextrose because there is no FRM 52 . ?
And to your gesture for Paul, It really takes a thoughtful caring person to honor a friend like you have. Your one of the Good guys Mr. Rick

Reactions: BGKYSmoker
I am still playing with this recipe. Made caseless pepperoni "logs" this morning using parchment paper. It was my third batch. Tastes great, but not very pretty. After I loaded the meat in the oven I figured out a way to make nice round caseless rolls. Might do that later this week.

The only changes I've made to the recipe is a little less salt, a little more anise seed, and more paprika. Oh, and I use ground turkey and ground pork or 73/27 ground beef. Taste and texture is almost identical whether I use beef or pork. Either gives a firm texture like an overworked meatloaf that tastes like pepperoni.

My wife and dentist thank you. My wife because I get the protein that keeps me sane and calm. My dentist because once I switched away from homemade beef jerky to homemade cured ground meat recipes, I stopped having gum issues. Go figure.
20200803_112153.jpg

Rick ,Thanks so I can just remove the Dextrose because there is no FRM 52 . ?
And to your gesture for Paul, It really takes a thoughtful caring person to honor a friend like you have. Your one of the Good guys Mr. Rick
Yeah you can skip the dextrose if you like. Dextrose adds a very mild tang on its own and helps preserve the meat

Wow how did I miss this the first time it was posted. What an awesome tribute to a friend Rick. Sure is a great list of recipes.

Warren

Just finished my 4th batch of the caseless pepperoni. I've tweaked the recipe to my tastes, but still working on the shaping. Next batch I'll have to find a 1" or 1.25" sausage funnel. Definitely eating a lot of ugly but delicious pepperoni. It's much redder than shown in the pic. 24 hours drying uncovered in the fridge after cooked deepens the color even more.

20200810_134512.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky