A tale of two pans..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
I wasn't sure about whether to post in Breads or Cast Iron Cooking so I tossed a coin and Breads it is.
I wanted to try a variation of the sourdough recipe I've been using and also wanted to try a loaf on the C.I. baking pan.
I've been using an 80/20 mix of bread flour and white whole wheat for the dough and wanted to try using straight bread flour.
I also wanted to try a starter using straight AP flour.
I've been making bread without any salt at all but after the last bread I made the Mrs told me she really missed the salt, so I thought I'd try using a little, but not as much as the recipe called for.

Here's the mix:
200g active sourdough starter (I used Gold Medal AP)
elmo.jpg
600g lukewarm water (I use bottled) about 80 degrees
1000g King Arthur bread flour
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp "NoSalt"
salt.jpg
2tsp sugar
50g lukewarm water

Mix everything but the salt and the 50g water till it's a bit shaggy and let rest for 30 minutes.
Then add the salts and the 50g of water and mix well and let it rest another 30 minutes. Then you fold fold 4 times, cover and let rise 45 minutes. Do this 2 more times.
Divide into 2, shape into rounds, cover and let rest another 30 minutes, then put into floured, covered proofing baskets and into the fridge for the night. You're ready for a break by then anyway.

Next day let them warm to room temp for a couple of hours and if they pass the poke test you're ready to bake in a 475 degree oven.
poke.jpg

I did the first one with the traditional Dutch Oven method. 20 minutes with the lid and about 15-20 minutes lidless.
dutch.jpg

The second one went on the C.I. baking pan. Foil on top for 20 minutes. Same bake time.
pan.jpg

Final result; the one in the DO had a harder crust and a more done bottom.
They both taste the same.
both.jpg bottoms.jpg
both cut.jpg

Bottom line is that I'll be using the baking pan from now on. We like the lighter crust and it actually rose a little more while baking.
If you had the patience to get through this whole post, thanks for looking :emoji_relaxed:
Have a wonderful day and don't be afraid to experiment, folks!

Dan

Those look great!

I cook mine at 425 and the bottoms are no longer as hard as they were at higher temps. I do them in to DO @20 minutes with the line then lid off till the crust gets to the color i like.

Reactions: SmokyMose
Those look great!

I cook mine at 425 and the bottoms are no longer as hard as they were at higher temps. I do them in to DO @20 minutes with the line then lid off till the crust gets to the color i like.
Thank you, Sandy!
The only recipe I have calls for 475 but I've been thinking of lowering it next time.
You know how recipes are. Take them with a grain of salt....

You know how recipes are. Take them with a grain of salt....
for sure. I think the original SD recipe I had said to start at 475 and reduce to 425 after removing the lid. but I don't think our oven really cools all that fast. I was getting pretty hard bottoms that were hard to slice - till I cut it to 425 for the full cook.

I also put the dough in a room temp DO. The original recipe said to start with a preheated DO. Between dropping the temp and doing the cold start, the bottoms are much more to my liking.

for sure. I think the original SD recipe I had said to start at 475 and reduce to 425 after removing the lid. but I don't think our oven really cools all that fast. I was getting pretty hard bottoms that were hard to slice - till I cut it to 425 for the full cook.

I also put the dough in a room temp DO. The original recipe said to start with a preheated DO. Between dropping the temp and doing the cold start, the bottoms are much more to my liking.
Yeah, I've wondered about the pre-heated iron thing. I pre-heated the DO for this but the baking pan was room temp and came out with a better crust as far as I'm concerned, especially the bottom....

A little older thread but a fun read.

I was getting over-crisp dark bottoms until I put a cast iron griddle in the oven. Solved the problem.

I bake at 450°F then drop to 425°F when I remove the lid on my bread roasters (two enameled chicken roasters I've repurposed). Dropping the temp buys a little more time for the loaves to more evenly brown.

Reactions: bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky