A step by step jerky recipe. Part One

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

white cloud

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 27, 2007
Riley Center MI
Step by step jerky recipe
Well this is how I do it anyway.

Sorry the pics seem alittle fuzzy, I don't know what caused it and by the time I discovered it , it was to late to re do. But good enough to get the point.

The Fruits of my Loin

This is a step by step of how I dry cure and smoke my Jerky
I have used this basic recipe that I had come up with for; Beef, venison and chicken jerky with good results.
It is recommended that you use the leanest meat possible for jerky and I had always wanted to try using a pork loin.
It is lean in the middle and you canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t beat the price, it is usually under $2.00 a pound here.

I picked this one up for $1.79 a pound and it weighs 4.98 pounds, Totaling $8.91

Removed most all the fat and membrane, and it trimmed up pretty good.

Got it all sliced at about ¼ inch thick and ended up with 3 ½ pounds for jerky.

I re-trimmed the scraps of additional membrane and had 1-½ pounds to add to my future sausage-making excursion.
The small pile is about ¼ pound of waste.

Carefully measured for each pound of meat:

1 Tbls. Morton Tender Quick
1 Tbls. Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Onion Powder
1 tsp. Fresh Course Black Pepper
¼ tsp. Cayenne Pepper

And mix to blend well.

In order to get a even distribution of the seasoning/cure I placed half or 1 3/4 pound each on separate sheet pans.

Step by step jerky recipe

Weighed the seasoning/cure and divided by 2. I had 4 ounces of the mix so put 2 ounces in a shaker bottle for one pan of meat.

2 ounces of the mix filled the shaker bottle so I just eyeballed ½ the bottle per side of meat. Evenly distribute the mix on one side and let it set for a couple minutes, flip it over and do the same to the other side.

I then combine the meat on one pan and flop it around wiping the excess cure laying on the pan.

Then just bag it up in a zip lock, squeeze the air out and seal. Let this set for 24 hours. I knead it a couple times while itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s curing.

After the curing time is up I lay the meat out on screens and let set at room temp, while I go out and heat up the smoker.
I have the smoker in the pole barn and figured it a good idea to have a fire extinguisher handy. The wood for the day is cherry, it was one small split and I cut it into 5 chunks and thats all the wood I will be burning over the top of lump.

It took an hour to heat up so stacked the screens with the meat and headed out to make some jerky.

I like to keep the smoker running between 175 and 190, so in it goes.

Normally beef or venison only take about 2 hours to where I like it. And I cut my beef maybe a little closer to 3/8 inch thick. This pork was close to ¼ inch and it took 3 ½ hours to get the squeeze I like.

The texture of pork loin jerky is a lot different than beef or venison, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s pretty chewy. The flavor is real good and I thought it would taste more like ham, but it tasted like jerky and I liked it. I like beef better. But for under 2 dollars a pound Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s great. I ended up with exactly half of the wet weight 1.75 pounds when finished.

So here is pork loin jerky.

hasEML = false;

Great step by step Qview
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Will give this a go soon.

Looks good thanks for sharing and doing the step by step
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Looks great WC....Thanks for the tutorial!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I'll be tryin this with some beef....if I can find some...

Thanks for the Q-veiw White cloud! The last batch I did was with R. Kutas's recipe, it was a wet one with soy sauce and worcestershire and it was ok but I think i'd like your dry version better. One more thing to try soon.
Dan

Great post way to go ... Never thought about using pork for jerky before. Gonna do it this weekend. Thanks.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Great looking jerky. Thanks for the Qview.

Great post
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

The pics and the step by step are great !!! I think even I could follow them without messing it up
cool.gif

Points for you
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky