A real long shot for smoking grilling Buche or Pork Stomach

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shegriller

Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
A friend at work went to the Mexican meat market to pick up some meat for herself. I asked her to pick up about 5 pounds of PORK BELLY for me so I can smoke some bacon after curing.

Her second language is Spanish, her first English and I think something got lost in the translation and I ended up with pork stomach. There are only a handful of recipes mostly involving tacos or filling the stomach up with meat filling like Haggis after a long search online.

I did learn how to clean, clean, clean the offal though and par boil the stuff.

I thought I might do a smoke for an hour till cooked and shred and simmer in a spicy broth. Supposedly the texture is finer than tripe.

Right now it's in the freezer.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mexicans dont cut hog's like in the states. Even if you ask for "Tosino" you wont get Bacon instead chicharrones. Just a cultural thing.  I grew up that way.

What should I have her ask for - in Spanish? She sells tacos at her son's pee wee football games every Saturday and picks up her meat on Friday.

Thanks much if you or anyone else knows!

Thanks so much Bearcarver!

I think I will send her with a note on Friday when she goes to the market.

RW Willy - that's pretty funny and what usually happens with 'mystery meat' in the freezer! I don't think I'll forget whats in this bag tho - the bag is the brightest shade of pink I have ever seen!

I am PA Dutch, and many PA Dutchmen know what to do with a pig stomach. I don't happen to be one of them. They stuff them with all kinds of goodies, but I have no idea what or how.

You could  try a search for "PA Dutch Pig Stomach".

Bear

SheGriller,

I didn't have much time. Mrs Bear is waiting to watch a movie with me.

I did a quick search for "PA Dutch Pig Stomach". There are a lot of them.

Here is one from "eHow":

http://www.ehow.com/how_5917170_make-dutch-filled-pig-stomach.html

This is a delicacy in much of the PA Dutch world,

Bear
Hola, carver de oso. Muy bien.
icon_smile.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky