A pellet smoker that actually smokes meat??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Weber SmokeFire has been ordered! I will post some assembly pics as soon as it's up and done. What should I cook first? A quick search said Pork Butt/Pulled Pork is a good place to start.
Congrats! I usually don't have a lot of patience in waiting so after the burn in I would keep it hot and would toss some chicken parts on it and let them roast...... but like is said I don't have patience....

Reactions: Fueling Around
Weber SmokeFire has been ordered! I will post some assembly pics as soon as it's up and done. What should I cook first? A quick search said Pork Butt/Pulled Pork is a good place to start.
Ribs are a good starter cook because it's relatively cheap and you can really get a good sense of smoke flavor (as long as you don't use sauce)

Ribs are a good starter cook because it's relatively cheap and you can really get a good sense of smoke flavor (as long as you don't use sauce)
I wanna live wherever you live. Ribs around me aren't what I would consider cheap anymore at all. 20-25$ a slab.

Pork Butts are always a good first smoke. Gives you insight to how your smoker will run of a period of time. They are almost impossible to screw up regardless of what temp is used.

Good suggestions above . For me I started slow . I would do a dry run . Get used to the controls , and do a start up and shut down . Get the feel for how the pellets flow . The software should do it's thing too .
Get some drip pans and use them . Weber makes a " system " now that fits those . It's a wire frame that snaps onto the grill rails and holds a foil Weber drip pan .You can use up to 3 to fill the whole cooking area in the EX4 . I use the broiler pans from my oven . They are low profile enough that they fit under the grates .
Chicken parts would be a good start . I would get used to it before doing longer cooks .

I agree with civilsmoker civilsmoker and chopsaw chopsaw on starting with chicken. Nice meal that cooks fast. A few thighs and breasts are less than a whole butt.
OK, I'm wondering how the SmokeFire performs at higher temps. My MB (Traeger clone) sucks at temps over 300° I go back to the kettle where I can indirect and direct

We have had good luck with our Traeger Pro 34.

D37BFDA2-FB34-4C52-B7EE-8EC1B4EF05F8.jpeg
D37BFDA2-FB34-4C52-B7EE-8EC1B4EF05F8.jpeg

Smoked meatloaf is one of our favorites with or without the bacon wrap. Matter of fact, I set some ground beef in the fridge to thaw earlier for a meatloaf.

Reactions: MrAhmerGamer
OK, I'm wondering how the SmokeFire performs at higher temps.
Me too . I've had mine to 500 to do pizza , but I'm working my way up to searing or a fast grill with no drip pan . It gets to temp pretty fast .
Did some chicken legs at 325 the other day . They come out great , but you can't go by ones done = they're all done . Mines hotter on the right side . Need to move stuff around more .

...with a probe stuck in it......

......So the 3 hour cook I'm doing today will only take 2.5 minutes from me........

Bing! Bing! Bing!

New guy here... just signed up yesterday.

Oh, man! This is what I need! You guys are fantastic! Glad I listened in over your shoulder!! Great thread (the jargon is thick here :emoji_anguished:)

Civilsmoker, you've helped me before and you did me again. Thanks!

So, you can do the smoking thing in the TEETH of winter. Conveniently!?!...

Looks like it! Wow! FROM THE PHONE!

What will those crazy kids think of next?

And the probe.... no snaking wires through little holes in a dark cabinet filled with smoke, fire, and brimstone? Is that what they're doing now?

Murph

Anyone that smokes with Charcoal, let’s the charcoal settle in before putting meat onto the smoker. If you add your meat to a freshly lit smoker, then you will be eating something that tastes like a cigarette. Otherwise, one can get a heavier or lighter smoke taste depending on how you run the smoker. Charcoal alone isn’t super smokey, but you can add wood to the mix and adjust the smoke profile quite a bit. Also, temperature has quite a bit of influence on charcoal smokers.

Thank you for this info about settling in the smoker. I have a Weber Kettle and didn't know about the settling thing.

Also someone else (or probably was you) had a tidbit about setting up the snake with wood chunks every six inches or so. Another good nugget.

So glad you (and everyone else) are here!

Murph

Just the way I get good smoke flavor from my Traeger 575, I mix pellets with apple or cherry wood chips, and also Bourbon barrel wood chips in my smoke tubes.
I've been a coal/wood smoker for 20 years and I don't really miss any "flavor" using this method in my pellet smoker.

Reactions: MrAhmerGamer
Bing! Bing! Bing!

New guy here... just signed up yesterday.

Oh, man! This is what I need! You guys are fantastic! Glad I listened in over your shoulder!! Great thread (the jargon is thick here :emoji_anguished:)

Civilsmoker, you've helped me before and you did me again. Thanks!

So, you can do the smoking thing in the TEETH of winter. Conveniently!?!...

Looks like it! Wow! FROM THE PHONE!

What will those crazy kids think of next?

And the probe.... no snaking wires through little holes in a dark cabinet filled with smoke, fire, and brimstone? Is that what they're doing now?

Murph
You are welcome. Most of the new PID controlled pellet smokers have 1 to 2 meat temperature probes. My Recteq has a 1.25 inch hole with a cover that makes it pretty easy and painless to plug them in. An yes you can conveniently smoke in the TEETH of winter if your smoker is not out in the mess. They do have electronics and as long as they are somewhat protected most do pretty dang good. You just have to realize the colder it is the more the fire burns so the "smoke" will be lighter in the cold than in the summer......

Last edited:
Reactions: DougE
You are welcome. Most of the new PID controlled pellet smokers have 1 to 2 meat temperature probes. My Recteq has a 1.25 inch hole with a cover that makes it pretty easy and painless to plug them in. An yes you can conveniently smoke in the TEETH of winter if your smoker is not out in the mess. They do have electronics and as long as they are somewhat protected most do pretty dang good. You just have to realize the colder it is the more the fire burns so the "smoke" will be lighter in the cold than in the summer......

I'm just amazed at how far along this equipment has come.

I used to smoke on "Ye Ol' Brinkmann." It was a vertical cabinet made of heavy-duty tinfoil. I did one smoke, maybe two, and let it rust until finally setting it on at the sidewalk for neighborhood scavengers to take. That was maybe ten years ago, maybe 15. It was a miserable experience.

A couple of years ago, I did a handful of smokes on my Weber Kettle. I did a pork butt that was just fantastic but took way more time than I was prepared for.

At that point I had a Weber Bluetooth thermometer. Nice gadget but the wires threaded through the top vent. All day long... adding wood, adding briquettes, and fussing with those wires. Boy, I really hated smoking!

I'm going to try this again after coming here. I came for the jerky cure, stayed for the smoke. I'm so weak. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thank you for your patience.

Murph

SmokeFire comes today and I couldn't be more excited or ready! Meatloaf is made and awaiting the maiden voyage. I am going to cook my head off the next 100 days to see whats what. Well as I was waiting, just saw that Weber has a new SmokeFire releasing soon!! Stealth Version Not sure what exactly is new besides the coloring. They also seem to be adding some searing grates. Guess I should have waited?? Haha Would a new version be a valid reason for 100 day money back guarantee to kick in?

Same features , just a blacked out version . Looks cool though .
Take time to learn it . Start up and shut down . Give the software time to do it's thing . I know . I said that already .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky