A new cure...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Now I understand Dustin Dorsey Dustin Dorsey concerns.
I’m not sure what the salt percentage is but the ingredients say salt, citrus extracts and herb/spice extracts. So I’m going to have to guess that the salt is higher In percentage than cure #1 at 93.75% sodium, this could be closer to 97-98% sodium and this means the salt in the recipe most definitely needs to be adjusted. So if you normally use 1.5% salt that could possibly be reduced to .5% In going salt to allow for the cure, it’s hard to know until we know what the salt/sodium content is in this new cure, but definitely looks like low salt sausage isn’t an option. Adding any ingredient to sausage at 1% will have a definite impact on flavor.

Reactions: Steve H
With bacon slighlty more salt isn't the end of the world. With sausage that salt is in there. My concerns might be overblown and maybe they accounted for that salt difference when they made the product. Hopefully 2 Guys and a cooler comes out with a sausage video soon.

What I mean by that is you can always soak the bacon and pull some salt out after the cure before the smoke. I generally know how salty the bacon is going to be by what percentage I add. This time I'll probably need to test a slice.

Reactions: Steve H
Do your homework

This is why in my salami im making now I'm cutting the salt back from 30g to 25g.

Reactions: indaswamp
Ok. It looks like Eric posted a reply to someone on the amount of salt
Screenshot_20230122_144951_YouTube.jpg

So my bacon is going to be a a tad salty. Whoops. I guess I could have emailed the company.

Ok. It looks like Eric posted a reply to someone on the amount of salt View attachment 655498

So my bacon is going to be a a tad salty. Whoops. I guess I could have emailed the company.
Wow, that’s a whole lot of extract that has been dried and added. That would really concern me on final flavor. May not taste like celery but I bet it tastes like something.

Wow, that’s a whole lot of extract that has been dried and added. That would really concern me on final flavor. May not taste like celery but I bet it tastes like something.
Olympic Provisions uses swiss chard extract for nitrates/nitrites in their dry cured products. I can taste it....and I am not a fan of swiss chard.
I do know at least with respect to rosemary that the flavor molecules have been removed and only the active extract reamains so it should not have any flavor profile.....

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I’m not sure what the salt percentage is but the ingredients say salt, citrus extracts and herb/spice extracts. So I’m going to have to guess that the salt is higher In percentage than cure #1 at 93.75% sodium, this could be closer to 97-98% sodium and this means the salt in the recipe most definitely needs to be adjusted. So if you normally use 1.5% salt that could possibly be reduced to .5% In going salt to allow for the cure, it’s hard to know until we know what the salt/sodium content is in this new cure, but definitely looks like low salt sausage isn’t an option. Adding any ingredient to sausage at 1% will have a definite impact on flavor.
Hey SmokinEdge. The amount of Salt in EcoCure #1 is 34.4% and the Amount of salt in EcoCure #2 is 49%.

I cured some bacon using ecocure#1 pretty much following the 2guysandacooler recipe (I kept mine to just salt, sugar, and ecocure #1). I smoked it it saturday and sliced it up yesterday. It turned out great. No real discernible difference from my regular bacon although I haven't done a side by side taste test. I didn't account for the salt difference. Subtracting the salt from the cure#1 and adding the salt from the ecocure #1 increased the salt level slightly, but not to the point the bacon was too salty. I'll adjust my levels next time.

It turned out great. No real discernible difference from my regular bacon although I haven't done a side by side taste test.

Thats really interesting... as beginner not sure if I should go for this herb cure or conventional curing salts. I watched the "2 guys & a cooler" video about it where Eric mentioned the magic works based on "Natural Polyphenols" in the herbs which inhibits bacteria.

I thought this was some anecdotal statements but there are few research papers supporting the claims... So I did some home work, Chokecherries and Elderberries have high concentrations of Polyphenols. However it seems these berries are toxic in raw form...

Got me thinking if it would be possible to use Polyphenols capsules, dilute it and apply it to sausages so that it stays safe during smoking in the danger zone.

Thats really interesting... as beginner not sure if I should go for this herb cure or conventional curing salts.
When it comes to curing, I'm fairly new, as well. I definitely am using the tried and true techniques of curing with cure #1 plus there's a wealth of knowledge and experience here on SMF that is available for reading or for the asking. Maybe when I get more experience and feel more comfortable, I'll try something different. My 2¢...

When it comes to curing, I'm fairly new, as well. I definitely am using the tried and true techniques of curing with cure #1 plus there's a wealth of knowledge and experience here on SMF that is available for reading or for the asking. Maybe when I get more experience and feel more comfortable, I'll try something different. My 2¢...

I agree, as a newbie I'll stick with the tried and true method using conventional nitrites/nitrates. I have been reading up on the subject for years but never had the time to understand more about it. I did more research and it seems humans have been using nitrites/nitrates salts specfically for curing meats for over 5,000 years. I buy some nitrates/nitrite test strips to measure how much PPM are in the cured meat (just in case something didn't work as planned).

After mastering on the use of curing salts, I guess I'll use polyphenol based cures.
After reading users experience on polyphenols (EcoCure), I'm surprised they state their meat cures tastes similar to that of sodium nitrites.

I always thought that sodium nitrites/nitrates curing salts will always give an authentic distinct taste to cured meats such that no other alternatives could precisely replicate as close to it.
Also it keeps the meat red by bonding to the myoglobin and acting as a substitute for the oxygen. I read that polyphenols also does this in similar manner.

I wonder which of the two curing methods (nitrites vs polyphenols) keeps the meat more red. Possibly someone have a side by side pictures.

Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky