1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

A mans breakfast!

Discussion in 'Blowing Smoke Around the Smoker.' started by dirtsailor2003, Oct 5, 2013.

1. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member

Tri tip chicken fried steak! And yes that's a whole one! Good lord I can barely eat half!

2. webowabo

webowabo Master of the Pit

Nice!

3. kathrynn

kathrynn Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

Love that stuff....and that one is huge!  Hungry Jack style!

Kat

4. hambone1950

hambone1950 Master of the Pit Group Lead

looks good , man!  that's a breakfast worth getting up early for !  [​IMG]

5. s2k9k

s2k9k AMNPS Test Group

That is Awesome Case!!!

6. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Hey Dirt

How do you make your white gravy??  I've tried for years to come up with a good recipie and failed miserably (god I wish I could spell)

Gary

7. dirtsailor2003

I wish I could say that I made this meal, but I didn't! It's from one of our long time favorite diners here in Bend the Pilot Butte Drive-in. Every meal there is huge. Both of the plates on the tray were my meal! Also home of the 18 oz burger!

8. hambone1950

hambone1950 Master of the Pit Group Lead

Well , you spelled miserably right! Thumbs Up

9. dirtsailor2003

Gary I use a simple recipe for white gravy:

Seasoned pork sausage ( http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/73350/country-style-breakfast-sausage )

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 cups milk
    Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions

Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, break it up with a wooden spoon, and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned and cooked through, about 7 minutes.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a bowl, leaving the rendered fat in the skillet. Whisk the flour into the fat and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. While whisking, pour the milk into the skillet and bring the gravy to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer gently for 2 minutes. Stir in the sausage and season with pepper.

If you don't have enough rendered fat, add butter to make the roux.

10. People measure stuff to make gravy? Jk. Gravy based meals were a staple for my Grandmother (she was feeding 10 people nightly), and Mom taught me gravy as she was taught. 

I believe I answered his new thread concurrently with your post. Your info is probably better for someone that doesn't instinctively make gravy. *sheepish

I will add that a basic roux should be required knowledge for every human before they leave the 'nest'. Cheese sauce, gravy, soups/stews...you want it thickened, it's the most delicious way to go! lol

11. miamirick

miamirick Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

C'mon man!,, i'll do a man vs food with you. I could knock that whole thing off and a side of grits and maybe a couple flapjacks as well
    As good as it looks I don't care how full I get

12. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

It AINT white gravy w/o bacon grease!

13. I dunno. To me, as long as it is animal-fat or butter based, it's all gravy!!! :D <--1 pun, one oxymoron lol

My big issue with the 'bacon fat' gravy is that the kids have eaten all the darned bacon, and then the gravy doesn't get chunks of meat in it! Who wants smooth gravy??? (By kids, I probably mean me...). lol

*makes note in general purpose notebook: Note to wife: Cook bacon LAST!!! rofl

14. dirtsailor2003

I'd have to argue that! Pork
    Is pork and pops country sausage makes great rendered fat for gravy!