A Great Vacation (non smoking related)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vlap

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 17, 2007
Bradenton, Florida
Wow. Where do I start?
Well I arrived Thursday night and was quickly whisked away into a neighborhood tradition of Champagne Thursday. I met my sisters neighbors as we sat around drinking champagne and talking of anything that came to mind. It was quite the amusing night. Oh yes, the neighbors let me know they had decided long ago that I was going to cook for them. More on that later.
Thursday was the 4th and we eventually made our way to White Bear Lake. It has been 25+ years since I had been there so it was a treat to revisit my childhood memories. Not much had changed aside from we had all gotten bigger.
Spent many a summer day at this lakeside shack.

We were soon whisked away on a pontoon boat for the yearly Bald Eagle tour. Here I am with my sister (sara), brother in law (Tim), and nephew Toby.

We found the bald eagle nest to be active with adults and young eagles. They were flying in and out.

Later that evening after a wonderful cookout my nephew Toby had fun with his first sparkler ever!

Later that night he also enjoyed his first firework show as well.

The next day I went into Minneapolis where we hit the farmers market. What an incredible assortment of local farms and artisan vendors selling all kinds of local and organic produce along with incredible cheeses, chocolates, smoked fish, etc...
Afterwards we walked over to the gutherie performing arts center where Toby took me on the best escalator in all of Minnesota.

At the top of this escalator were scenic views, glass bottom floors with interesting bugs hanging on them and a great view of the downtown city.

After yet another ride on the greatest escalator ever we went over to the park next door where I was quickly convinced that I should roll down the hill with Toby. And roll we did!

After the fun day we got ready for the nights food. This is where I cooked for the neighbors. I said no prob as long as they furnished me with a side of salmon. Well they pulled a fast one on me and provided me with Salmon, Sea Bass and sashimi Marlin. This marlin looked more like tuna to me but I went with it. The salmon was prepped with lemon zest, fennel fronds, salt/pepper and oil. The Sea Bass was a beautiful fillet so I only used salt and pepper. The Marlin (not pictured) was given a nice asian influenced marinade. All were grilled.

Also included some Mushrooms toasts. Sauted mushrooms with butter and garlic and added in goat cheese at the end. Served on an organic whole wheat rye,

The final plate.

We spent much time walking around the many parks surrounding Minneapolis. Here I am taking a very needed break ;)

Also spent a day around a sculpture garden. Oh boy did Toby run me ragged there! He decided a granite slab was a great place to sit.

We also took time to enjoy the sculptures.

We made our way over to a park where I got to play on the jungle gym with Toby. Here I am going down the slide.

Later on while heading back to the car Toby and I revisited his favorite sculpture. Some yellow caution tape, a broken light and a few cones. Brilliant!!! It kept his attention for a long time.

We had tons more fun but eventually all good things... I am back in Florida and eagerly awaiting my next trip.

LOL! Wow... thanks V! What a nice post. That last sculpture was incredible! Reminds me of when my kids and my bro's were young.. playing with the boxes the gifts came in! Sheaf Stout, Aussie right? Been years since I had one but I seem to recall it's VERY stout and VERY tasty!

It is a good strong stout. Its also a beer I had not seen in over a decade. I have looked online and saw a report that the brewery had gone out of business. I was very surprised to find it and was dancing like a lil kid as I loaded all the bottles they had into my cart. They said there that they have never had any trouble getting it.

Very nice Vlap! Good times with the family. Quite a long way from home eh? Eats looked great. Tuna sushimi is one of my favorites, how was the marlin sushimi?? And experiencing the bald eagles must have been a treat. Thanks for the trip!

The Marlin looked and tasted like tuna. To be honest I was surprised when I looked at it since I was thinking Marlin meat would be more like a swordfish.

Looks like it was a great trip
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I'm thinkin' that Toby is gonna keep Uncle V very busy for a long time , lucky kid he is
biggrin.gif

Yes the caution tape is great, but how can you do any better then two orange cones. He rearranged the cones several times to make sure the best effect was achieved.

Vlap, thanks for sharing the great photos with us. I'm glad to know you had a great break from it all.

You can see my vacation was not a tourist type. It was more like a person who lives there. I think this actually made it better.

On the fourth before we went to the lake we took a bike ride to a close lake. As we were riding around it everywhere I looked there was families outdoors with there kids. Many grills were fired up and to my pleasant surprise most were using lump instead of charcoal.

It was a good time being there. It won't be another 12 years before I go up there again.

How fun was that!
Toby is a cutie-pie for sure! I love the roll down the hill, you go man! First to try anything are ya? only way to live my friend!
Marlin?? man I am jealous I bet it was yummy! Your tuna has me jonesing for some good tuna now, thanks! you may have just killed my brisket sammie lunch!! LOL!!
Welcome back, and you never now, you may get back up there before 12 flies by...
BBQG

Dude used to tailgate right there by the Old Spag Factory.
Hopefully you got some Art Songs Chicken Wings.
Wicked Killa good those babies are.

Yeah, 10,000 lakes is pretty cool. :)

Next time we connect for a brew.

I didn't get any wings. Next time you will have to show me the spots.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky