A good week

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
The evening weather is really nice on the patio, I have a glass of JB Black leftover from my sauces, and just kicking back. I had knee surgery last week to fix a torn meniscus. It went really well. I am up and about without pain and getting some chores done as well.

I filled in my week by having quality time with my smoker. After all, smoking is just a lot of sitting around watching the smoke, right?

We started off with the small pork butt I already posted. Man, it was great!

9508CEFA-4BF1-4365-9D3E-AA53E13C97D3.jpeg

I followed that up with beef jerky v3. I think I have it! I made regular and peppered with the same marinade. A bit of bourbon leaked in to the marinade and it is very good. It is getting better the longer it sits. Which is a problem, since jerky has a pretty damned short half-life.

7DB1BD21-E4AC-4D7B-B7D5-B106DC99F173.jpeg

Next, was the ribeye I picked up at the butchers shop. Yes it was an impulse buy. And Mrs. Smoke threatened to suspend my unattended shopping trip rights. All is forgiven and I now have permission to impulse buy anything I see. She didn’t narrow the scope to the meat market so I interpret this to also include motorcycle and machine tool shops.

F4CC3950-49B3-4F6B-B021-DC9613B432F0.jpeg

Tonight, I made up some trail mix. I’m using my jerky, three kinds of smoked cheese (remember when we had snow?), and pepperoni from the meat market. This mix is sooo good with very cold beer. I often give this away to friends. I vacuum pack it and as it sits over time, the flavors meld and it gets a richer taste. Problem is, it doesn’t last long either!

CD6C2028-E922-4206-AC3F-56CB418D33F3.jpeg

Have a great weekend!

That all looks mouthwatering! Would love to hear more about the jerky! Wife doesn't care for pepper jerky so she doesn't touch it. But I can sure make it disappear!

Ryan

The evening weather is really nice on the patio, I have a glass of JB Black leftover from my sauces, and just kicking back. I had knee surgery last week to fix a torn meniscus. It went really well. I am up and about without pain and getting some chores done as well.

I filled in my week by having quality time with my smoker. After all, smoking is just a lot of sitting around watching the smoke, right?

We started off with the small pork butt I already posted. Man, it was great!

View attachment 492817

I followed that up with beef jerky v3. I think I have it! I made regular and peppered with the same marinade. A bit of bourbon leaked in to the marinade and it is very good. It is getting better the longer it sits. Which is a problem, since jerky has a pretty damned short half-life.

View attachment 492818

Next, was the ribeye I picked up at the butchers shop. Yes it was an impulse buy. And Mrs. Smoke threatened to suspend my unattended shopping trip rights. All is forgiven and I now have permission to impulse buy anything I see. She didn’t narrow the scope to the meat market so I interpret this to also include motorcycle and machine tool shops.

View attachment 492819

Tonight, I made up some trail mix. I’m using my jerky, three kinds of smoked cheese (remember when we had snow?), and pepperoni from the meat market. This mix is sooo good with very cold beer. I often give this away to friends. I vacuum pack it and as it sits over time, the flavors meld and it gets a richer taste. Problem is, it doesn’t last long either!

View attachment 492820

Have a great weekend!
Looks amazing and glad you're up and around and doing good things!!

That all looks mouthwatering! Would love to hear more about the jerky!

It is Jeff’s recipe. I cut the soy sauce in half and added the same amount of teriyaki. I also add a dash of Accent and Prague to preserve. The bourbon is a must. It took about three hours at 225 over hickory with lots of air flow. I’m still working on the best recipe, but this is really good. As I said, the longer it sits, the better it tastes.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Good to hear your surgery went good. That trail mix looks good also. Do you freeze it and just pull it out when you want to eat some? Looks like an easy snack I can prep for my kids.

Good looking chow and nice patio. I getting ready to make more jerky. Will check that recipe out. Did something different last time using Walkers Jerk. Was good but about half way threw got tired of it.

Looks like you made the best of the down-time. That trail mix looks fantastic. I bet it's a hit with the friends who get to enjoy it....and I agree that it wouldn't last long around here when the beer starts flowing.

Robert

Great to hear the surgery went well. And the food looks fantastic!

Do you freeze it and just pull it out when you want to eat some?

I have had good results vacuum bagging it and putting it in the fridge. I bag it in one cup portions. If your kids like it, I doubt it will hang around long enough to spoil!

Reactions: SmokingUPnorth
Trail mix looks great and I need to make some up. Got a troop of scouts that will chew fingers if you don't pass out fast enough.

Sounds the knee harpoon went well. I had one many years ago to clean up arthritis and wow

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky