A few quick questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

levifunk

Original poster
Apr 14, 2021
What type of cedar is preferred? I remember reading someone saying that one varietal was better than another, but can't find that post again.

What is the science of the exhaust pipe? I see some smoke houses have the exhaust coming out the bottom and a long pipe up, while others have an exhaust simply out the roof.

Has anyone used cork as insulation in their smokehouse? I am considering using ~1/2" cork underlayment board as insulation between an interior and exterior layer of cedar tongue & groove siding. Naturally fire retardant and zero added formaldehyde/VOC's.

Reactions: JLeonard
What type of cedar is preferred? I remember reading someone saying that one varietal was better than another, but can't find that post again.

What is the science of the exhaust pipe? I see some smoke houses have the exhaust coming out the bottom and a long pipe up, while others have an exhaust simply out the roof.

Has anyone used cork as insulation in their smokehouse? I am considering using ~1/2" cork underlayment board as insulation between an interior and exterior layer of cedar tongue & groove siding. Naturally fire retardant and zero added formaldehyde/VOC's.
Western red cedar, I suppose. I built mine out of CDX plywood. It’s all black inside now.
as far as venting, intake should be low as possible and exhaust high as possible. I exhausted mine at the top of the back wall, not the roof. Don’t over think the project.

Backwall or sidewall exhaust is the better option I think so don't get things dripping back down when heated up.
I also just lined mine with plywood.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I planned to put a chimney in my smokehouse but with my less than perfect carpentry skills I managed to make a smokehouse that has an intake and exhaust built in. It just goes through the “cracks”...
I used one inch styrofoam boards (x3) for insulating my smokehouse and the inside is 3/8” plywood. Highest temp I have had was 265.

My thought with the cork board as insulation is that it would help reach higher temp and would make this more of a dual use hot and cold smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky