Propane SmokeHouse Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimalbert

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
Lehighton, PA
Hey Guys... I am starting a new build here in the next few days and have decided on a design.  Everything is drawn up as far as the main construction but I still have a few things that I would like to have some outside perspective and advice on.  Here goes.

The smokehouse will be 4x4x8.  (peak to floor base).

The general construction will be 2x4.

The entire inside of the smokehouse will be lined with cement board.

The walls will be insulated.

The outside walls will most likely be tongue and groove cedar/pine or I am thinking about a hardyboard cement siding.

The roof will be Metal and will also have insulation beneath it.

I will most likely 5 drafts.  2 on the bottom to allow air flow, two above the lowers near the top of the walls, and a pipe through the roof that can be controlled by a damper.

I will be starting with a propane burner (need to determine proper btu's) but will also look to add an electric alternate heat source.

I will most likely integrate something to house my AMNPS for smoke generation. 

- Flame out sensor (Thanks for the reminder Dave).

From the information provided do you guys have any other suggestions or things that I should reconsider?  I will take pictures as I move throughout this project as well.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:
Thought I would give an update.  Everything is framed waiting for the roof and tongue and groove siding to be installed.  When both of those are done I will be insulating the inside and installing the cement board and finally the vents.  I made a last minute change to the original design and thought that a decent overhang on the front would be nice so that if its raining you wont be getting soaked while checking the smoker.

Jim

Do you guys think that a 4" vent through the roof with a roof cap would be enough vent for this smokehouse?  Its the biggest through the roof pipe vent I can get.  A couple of floor registers for vents in the bottom and a 4" outlet should allow enough air flow?

Jim

Do you guys think that a 4" vent through the roof with a roof cap would be enough vent for this smokehouse?  Its the biggest through the roof pipe vent I can get.  A couple of floor registers for vents in the bottom and a 4" outlet should allow enough air flow?

Jim
I'd do a 6" vent at a minimum, there are several on line and at lowes and Home Depot

Put floor registers in the top of the walls...    A stack will create condensate and drip inside the smokehouse...

Thanks Dave... That was something else I thought about.  Just wasnt sure if I would get enough draft with just a couple of floor registers.  And I thought it would look better with an actual chimney coming out of the roof.  But one thing is for sure, registers would be alot easier.

Thanks,

Jim

I think side floor registers provide a more uniform air flow through a smokehouse.....   An exhaust through the roof, may cause a stream of exhaust that does not allow smoke to reach the side walls...  An exhaust pipe may cause too "fast" of an exhaust stream...   The smokehouse itself, is a chimney...   Slowing the air stream is an important aspect of a smokehouse....  You want a somewhat lingering stream of air and yet still maintain a movement to remove moisture...

Thanks Guys!  I think I will go with 3 registers up top and 3 down bottom.  That way I can close and open them as I need and should be enough adjustment.  6 might be overkill but if they are there then I wont have to worry about cutting them in later.  I would assume I should keep them as high as possible for the exhaust and burner height for the bottom?  Sound right?

Thanks Guys!

Jim

You may need a shield around the burner so the wind doesn't blow the flame out...   Low and high mounting is good for the floor registers....  You can also mount several therms through the side walls to determine if the temperature is distribute uniformly...  al least until you get familiar with the smoker...  The therms will also tell you how to adjust the registers for efficient heating vs. flame height vs. register opening...  when you get a good balance of the system, you'll be golden.....

Watching the smoke disperse from the upper registers, that will tell you tons...   too much air flow...  not enough air flow....  too much / not enough smoke....    remember, thin blue smoke has the best flavor...

Got it Dave!  Im also going to have to give the registers a little thought as I will be insulating and covering the inside with cement board.  I may need to get some rectangular duct and attach it to the registers, clip the corners on the inside and bend them over to attach to the inside of the smoker where it goes through the cement board.

Thanks,

Jim

Thought I would give an update.  Here are some pics.

Based on a friends recommendation that owns and maintains a log home I decided to use a product called Flood CWF-UV for the wood sealer.  Pic attached above.

Heres a pic of the left side.  As you can see I decided to go with 8x10 wall registers that had fins formed from each direction in hopes that I can catch air from any direction.  3 Sides are done with the front and door to do yet.

Thanks,

Jim

Looks Great, Jim!!
icon14.gif

Great Idea having the Lookout in the front to stand under!!
icon14.gif

Won't be long now.

I use Woodguard on my Log Home, but I gotta add a coat about every 3 years.

Better put a Lock on it, or somebody will move in!!

Bear

Thanks Bear.  My wife says at least now when shes pissed off at me I will have a place to sleep thats not in the house!  ahahha

Thanks for looking,

Jim

Thanks Bear.  My wife says at least now when shes pissed off at me I will have a place to sleep thats not in the house!  ahahha

Thanks for looking,

Jim
That's Great, Jim !!

After a few smokes that place will smell good enough to put you right to sleep with a Smile on your face!!  No Lullaby needed. 
icon14.gif

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky