A couple of UDS build questions...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bman62526

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Decatur, IL
I found a company here that will sandblast the inside of TWO drums for me, for $50 total.

From ALL the research I've done, this is the only way to go when it comes to the "dreaded red liner" I have in my food grade drums!  :-)  I attacked the liner on the drum LID last night with my weed burner, and I could hear the red liner laughing at me...

If it's going to be that hard to clean the lid - I'm not interested in trying the drums!

Question # 1:  What can I use to seal up the hole where I want to run my remote temp. probe wires?  I plan to drill a 3/16" - 1/4" hole for my Maverick temp. probes, but I don't want any air leaking in at that point.  I'd like an idea that is permanent - as opposed to just jamming some tin foil in there.  :-)   Anyone have any sort of idea for a gasket in that hole?

Question #2:  I'm building oneUDS for me and one for my dad for Christmas.  For his, I just want to install a high quality temp. dial gauge - as he won't be interested in buying the Maverick remote gauge....at least not at first.  What do you recommend I buy and install as far as the size and the brand of temp gauge?  I know there are a lot of them out there, but I want a good and accurate one.  I'm planning to install it RIGHT below the inside cooking grate.

Thanks!

On the hole for the meat probe to go thru ,I've just drilled a 1/4 inch hole and not worried about making it air tight and not had any problems with them .Even with a Weber grill lid you,re going to get some air leaking in/out and with your ball vavle you can control any extra air that leaks in .

For the Temp gauge , I 've had good luck with the ones Cabala carries but i would still check it in boiling water to see how

accurate it is  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky