a couple of questions about breakfast sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I’m new to grinding up sausage and use pork butt and AC Legg #10 blend for breakfast and #100 blend Zesty Italian for coarse ground IS. Tastes great to me with no added pork fat. I’ve always liked Tennessee Pride but they must have changed the fat ratio in the last few years making it greasier which is the reason I now make my own.

Last edited:
well the reason i started this thread was because i made patties from what was left in my stuffer and it was always too lean and therefore tough, so i knew i needed to add fat to my ground pork butts but didn't know how much i needed to add , this is a great place to get these kind of questions answered

i took "POP's recipe and did the calculations in order to break it down to a single pound of meat to use as a trial run
.36 salt
.09 black pepper
.05 sage
i suspect that i will add a small amount of red pepper to mine ( i like a bit of heat )
i plan on grinding 1 lb of boston butt and mixing this into it , fry it, taste it and adjust according to my taste
i am also going to try a commercial mix just to see which i like better
i hope this helps those that want to try a small batch before committing to making up a bigger batch

i just mixed and fried a 1 lb batch using "POP's " recipe , it makes a good sausage however my wife and i both agree
that WE would reduce th salt by 25%
the sage seems about right , so far i have only cooked 2 patties ,
the 1st one was as directed , the 2nd one i added a bit of red pepper ( should have added a bit more )
i only ran it through my grinder once using the small plate and the texture was perfect
the 1 lb that i cut off the boston butt had plenty of fat so i opted not to add any more to it
overall a very nice tasting sausage
i have whats left in my refrigerator hoping it will firm up a bit before i try again

thank you !!!
i would have to say that "POP'S " would be a very good starting point for everyone interested in making their own breakfast sausage
we are still going to try the commercial seasoning when it arrives
but for making your seasoning from scratch
POP"s is definitely the place to start

I too like Pops breakfast sausage.
I make patties out of it.
and I also add some red pepper flakes, just a bit for colour and a hint of snap.
And I also agree it would be fine with a bit less salt, 25% less would sound about right.

i'm beboneing , grinding and seasoning another 50 lbs of meat for smoked sausage today going to put it in the fridge and smoke that tomorrow , THEN i am going to grind another 40 lbs and make the patties

just made 15 lbs of pops recipe and all i did was reduce the salt and added some red pepper
man are they good !!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky