A Couple Of NY Strips (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
A couple weeks ago I stopped at Costco to get some cheese. That's it. Only three blocks of cheese and I'm leaving. Turns out they were running a special. If you buy 3 blocks of cheese for $312 you get a 15# USDA Prime beef toploin roast, a 9# pork loin, two cases of diet coke (for Tracy), twelve 2-liter bottles of margaritas, and a few other things ABSOLUTELY FEE!! What a deal. I just couldn't turn it down :emoji_laughing: So I get home and have this toploin roast and had no clue what to do with it so decided to cut it down into NY Strip steaks. Got 12 steaks that were a full 1 1/2" thick (I measured each one as I cut them). After a less than gratifying experience a few weeks ago with a NY Roast I bought online I was really hoping for something better this time. But hey, it was free, right? :emoji_wink: Got a couple out to grill up the other night.

The steaks
001.jpg

Seasoned up with some Pit Faced On Point rub
002.jpg

Doing some fried taters in my new birthday cookware. Seasoned with garlic EVOO and SPOG
003.jpg

Tracy decided we needed some green onions in the taters
004.jpg

Onto the grill over the sear burner. Got the temp dialed down a bit so only running about 800*
006.jpg

Flip. Got some nice grill marks going
007.jpg

Plated with the taters and a salad. Kind of a blurry pic. I seem to be getting really good at taking bad pictures
008.jpg

Cut away shot. Steaks are perfect!! Pulled at 125, let rest a few minutes, and they came out really well
010.jpg

Close up
012.jpg

I've kind of been on a quest to find some good quality meat at a decent price that I don't have to buy 50# of. I can get the roasts from CPB but getting a whole case is just more than we need, especially when added to the other stuff I am getting by the case. These turned out to be exactly what I've been looking for. The steaks were fantastic. Not quite the deep, rich, beefy flavor of CPB but at a price point of $7.99/lb (but mine was free of course :emoji_sunglasses:) I'm more than fine with this. We both agreed that this was the best "bang for the buck" steak we've ever had. One day I may check with a forum friend that lives in the area and see if he wants to split a case from CPB but for the time being, I'm really happy with these and will keep them on hand.

(Disclaimer: the butcher I talked to at Costco said it was a "toploin" and that is what was on the label he printed but I'm seeing conflicting info on the 'Net)

This one is a wrap. Stay safe and I'll see everybody again soon I hope.

Robert

Man oh man those steaks look good! Hard to beat a good NY strip. Glad you found another source of beef that you guys enjoy. LIKE!!

Great looking meal Robert. The steak looks perfectly cooked and the taters too. How did you find out about that deal? That was a good deal.

Rob

WHAT! I have never heard of such a deal! man my Costco doesnt do deals like that...or I was blinded by the beef and missed out

Phenomenal cook Robert, everything looks real tasty! Nice grill marks on a perfectly cooked steak! BTW, your pics are always great... some of the best on the forum!

Beautiful looking steak Robert! Glad you found some good quality at Costco. I'm rarely disappointed with sam's club prime beef. Not cpb but usually pretty good. Happy late birthday bud

New York Strip is our favorite ( when we can find it). Must be everyone else's too. :emoji_laughing:
Yours looks fantastic, nice work.

Beautiful looking steaks Robert! Something about grill marks just make them look awesome! Happy belated birthday also!
I think you need more foot pics...then they always turned out well!

Ryan

A couple weeks ago I stopped at Costco to get some cheese. That's it. Only three blocks of cheese and I'm leaving. Turns out they were running a special. If you buy 3 blocks of cheese for $312 you get a 15# USDA Prime beef toploin roast, a 9# pork loin, two cases of diet coke (for Tracy), twelve 2-liter bottles of margaritas, and a few other things ABSOLUTELY FEE!! What a deal. I just couldn't turn it down :emoji_laughing: So I get home and have this toploin roast and had no clue what to do with it so decided to cut it down into NY Strip steaks. Got 12 steaks that were a full 1 1/2" thick (I measured each one as I cut them). After a less than gratifying experience a few weeks ago with a NY Roast I bought online I was really hoping for something better this time. But hey, it was free, right? :emoji_wink: Got a couple out to grill up the other night.

The steaks
View attachment 481104

Seasoned up with some Pit Faced On Point rub
View attachment 481105

Doing some fried taters in my new birthday cookware. Seasoned with garlic EVOO and SPOG
View attachment 481106

Tracy decided we needed some green onions in the taters
View attachment 481107

Onto the grill over the sear burner. Got the temp dialed down a bit so only running about 800*
View attachment 481108

Flip. Got some nice grill marks going
View attachment 481109

Plated with the taters and a salad. Kind of a blurry pic. I seem to be getting really good at taking bad pictures
View attachment 481110

Cut away shot. Steaks are perfect!! Pulled at 125, let rest a few minutes, and they came out really well
View attachment 481111

Close up
View attachment 481112

I've kind of been on a quest to find some good quality meat at a decent price that I don't have to buy 50# of. I can get the roasts from CPB but getting a whole case is just more than we need, especially when added to the other stuff I am getting by the case. These turned out to be exactly what I've been looking for. The steaks were fantastic. Not quite the deep, rich, beefy flavor of CPB but at a price point of $7.99/lb (but mine was free of course :emoji_sunglasses:) I'm more than fine with this. We both agreed that this was the best "bang for the buck" steak we've ever had. One day I may check with a forum friend that lives in the area and see if he wants to split a case from CPB but for the time being, I'm really happy with these and will keep them on hand.

(Disclaimer: the butcher I talked to at Costco said it was a "toploin" and that is what was on the label he printed but I'm seeing conflicting info on the 'Net)

This one is a wrap. Stay safe and I'll see everybody again soon I hope.

Robert
Man they look good

Excellent cook Robert! Steaks cooked perfectly. You got one heck of a deal. NY Strips are my favorite steak. I really like the Sam's Prime, when they have it. Great job, and your pictures are really good. Happy belated Birthday.

I swear that happens to me when I got in stores too!! As usual the food looks fantastic. Steaks are done just right! I’ll be checking out the Costco meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky