A Chuck Roast for the Spit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
Since my shoulder clod experiment is on hold until I can drive to Lockhart, TX, I picked up this Prime chuck shoulder roast (from a shoulder clod, I believe?) to see how it comes out on the spit. Going to dry brine it overnight and then give it a good granulated garlic, fresh ground pepper and a bit more Kosher salt rub and cook it over post oak coals and see how it turns out. I am up in the air on what temp to cook it to. I believe edmonds edmonds recommended 145-degrees in another thread(?) but I cannot recall the thread or post.

[Edit] Never mind edmonds edmonds I found the post! :emoji_thumbsup: Also injected the roast with a mixture of beef broth, Worcestershire, garlic and a pinch of salt!

It's a decent looking piece of beef and appears to have nice marbling for a chuck shoulder, so I am hopeful.

IMG_1495.jpg

Last edited:
I'm kind of at a loss to help here insofar as being able to help. I've no doubt though you'll work a miracle with it. Something of that girth I'd think a low, slow cook would benefit. Can't wait to see it all done though :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: Retired Spook
I'm kind of at a loss to help here insofar as being able to help. I've no doubt though you'll work a miracle with it. Something of that girth I'd think a low, slow cook would benefit. Can't wait to see it all done though :emoji_wink:

Robert
I've been watching edmonds edmonds 's cooks and learning; he seems to have the chucks dialed in so I have my fingers crossed! :emoji_thumbsup:

Since my shoulder clod experiment is on hold until I can drive to Lockhart, TX, I picked up this Prime chuck shoulder roast (from a shoulder clod, I believe?) to see how it comes out on the spit. Going to dry brine it overnight and then give it a good granulated garlic, fresh ground pepper and a bit more Kosher salt rub and cook it over post oak coals and see how it turns out. I am up in the air on what temp to cook it to. I believe edmonds edmonds recommended 145-degrees in another thread(?) but I cannot recall the thread or post.

[Edit] Never mind edmonds edmonds I found the post! :emoji_thumbsup: Also injected the roast with a mixture of beef broth, Worcestershire, garlic and a pinch of salt!

It's a decent looking piece of beef and appears to have nice marbling for a chuck shoulder, so I am hopeful.
Looking forward to your results.
Looks real good all tied up and impaled on a stick like that. Guess there was no bone.
But I would shoot for 140 instead of 145 to make sure it doesn't dry out, unless you prefer more done anyway.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Looking forward to your results.
Looks real good all tied up and impaled on a stick like that. Guess there was no bone.
But I would shoot for 140 instead of 145 to make sure it doesn't dry out, unless you prefer more done anyway.
I pulled it off at 135 and it is in foil right now resting - we'll see how it turns out :emoji_thumbsup:

IMG_1509.JPG

It sure looks good so far, I would think that you could finish it with one side rare & the other side well done, since it’s much smaller on one end than the other. Keep everybody happy!
Al
That is exactly what I did! 😎

Reactions: SmokinAl
I snuck a taste and WOW is that good - THAT is the beefy taste I like!!! It still needs to sit and I could have left it cook until 135 or even 140 but my God does that taste good. I think that injecting it with the beef broth / Worcestershire sauce mixture is fantastic.

Photos soon.

Reactions: bigfurmn
I don't have the words - incredibly tender - I'll never buy a prime rib ever again! Taste fantastic 3X past my best hope!!! I am at a total loss to explain this I never would have believed it. Best piece of beef I have ever eaten.

IMG_1511.JPG

I snuck a taste and WOW is that good - THAT is the beefy taste I like!!! It still needs to sit and I could have left it cook until 135 or even 140 but my God does that taste good. I think that injecting it with the beef broth / Worcestershire sauce mixture is fantastic.

Photos soon.
I don't have the words - incredibly tender - I'll never buy a prime rib ever again! Taste fantastic 3X past my best hope!!! I am at a total loss to explain this I never would have believed it. Best piece of beef I have ever eaten.

View attachment 654479
That.Is.Awesome.

Have a recipe for how you injected it?

1/2-cup unsalted beef broth and 1/4 cup Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce, some granulated garlic and a little bit of salt (I didn't measure the dry ingredients).

Used a meat injector about every inch square and thereafter it sat in the fridge uncovered overnight! I injected the meat 2-hours after it sat in the fridge dry brining.

The rub (also did not measure just went by eye) I used fresh ground black pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion (not so much), a little Kosher salt, a pinch of thyme and a pinch of cayenne pepper.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky