A batch of beef Biltong

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
My wife had bought me a Biltongmate box and Stryve slicer for Valentines Day. I bought some top round roasts for the meat:
IMG_0276.jpg

Directions for the box said cut meat at 3/4 inch which I did but will go thicker next time:
IMG_0277.jpg

The biltong box came with four spice packs so I used the traditional flavor first, also used some malt vinegar for the dip:
IMG_0278.jpg

I dipped the meat strips briefly in vinegar and then coated the meat with the spice, let it sit in the fridge for one hour and then to the box:
IMG_0279.jpg

Into the Biltongmate box which has acrylic walls and stainless steel hardware. There are vents on the bottom and a computer fan on top:
IMG_0285.jpg

This box was well designed for air flow as my skinnier cuts were done in 3 days and the rest I left in for 5 days (could have gone 4):
IMG_0288.jpg

I'm glad I had the slicer as it made the cutting process so much easier then a knife would have been ! The Biltong is delicious and won't last long as once I start eating it it's hard to stop . :)
IMG_0287.jpg

Thanks for looking ! CM

Last edited:
That looks outstanding!! I've done Biltong a few times and it came out really well but not nearly as nice as what you've done. Could that box be used for drying meats for stuff other than Biltong?

Robert

Reactions: crazymoon
That looks outstanding!! I've done Biltong a few times and it came out really well but not nearly as nice as what you've done. Could that box be used for drying meats for stuff other than Biltong?

Robert
TXS, I'm not sure what you had in mind to dry but it performed nicely with the Biltong. I I had the box in an upstairs spare bedroom, wood stove down stairs so it was fairly warm throughout the drying period in that room.

That looks amazing! Was it still a little soft in the middle? Love that slicer. Only biltong I've had came from my good friend Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ which was delicious. But everytime I see you post I think of your smoked venison hearts...now I'm curious of venison heart biltong.

Ryan

That looks absolutely delicious CM! I have never tasted Biltong but it looks like something I’d enjoy.

That’s a pretty neat box too. I could see getting into something like this.

Reactions: crazymoon
Thanks,

Wow. . .That's a great looking well made box. I will have to look into getting one. Do they come in various sizes or is that it?

Thanks again,

John
BC, I believe that is the only size they offer, the top and bottom come off . These pieces all fit together tightly and clean up easily. I did cut a piece of cardboard to fit into the bottom of the box to catch the initial drippings which aided in the clean up. I was going to make a box using Justins aka WaterinHoleBrews design but my wife surprised me with this gift. It takes up very little space but still dried over 5 pounds of meat.

Reactions: BandCollector
CM, great looking batch of Biltong! Well done my friend!
Justin, I was making up a list of parts/pieces to buy to construct your box design when my wife said to forget about it as she had bought me one. I think she wanted less of a footprint from another one of my toys !:)

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky