980 replacement fan?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CML

Original poster
Sep 17, 2021
The fan in my 980 melted down. I have a warranty replacement on the way but they told me it could be a couple months before they have them in stock. I ordered a traeger/pit boss replacement off Amazon just to see if it might work and that is a negative. The 980 has a 3 wire plug and all the other fans I have seen have only 2. Anyone know where I might source a replacement fan quicker than waiting on char griller?

CML,
I also had a total fan melt down. Did the fan you buy work?
48DCD176-9C4B-4CE4-9B1D-BA482174819D.jpeg

It did not. The plug is different and the housing is different. I set it aside to see if I might be able to modify it, but haven't had time yet.

I did receive a notice from Char that my parts are being sent - hopefully a fan will be in the box. 😬

When did you submit the claim? Mine was Aug 19.

I just submitted mine, you are correct, no fans. Will find out when more are due. Might just order the one off Amazon if its going to be months.

Let me know if you find a replacement on Amazon please. I should have time this weekend to see if I can find a way to make the one I ordered work.

Update recieved. I will say one thing, this is my 2nd warranty claim and Char Griller's customer service has been very responsive and helpful.

Hello Chris,

We recently received a shipment with the 9800 parts. These items are currently being inventoried into the warehouse. I will notate your order number and reach out as soon as I receive tracking.

Thank you for your patience.

Char-Griller CS,

Reactions: RCAlan
The fan in my 980 melted down. I have a warranty replacement on the way but they told me it could be a couple months before they have them in stock. I ordered a traeger/pit boss replacement off Amazon just to see if it might work and that is a negative. The 980 has a 3 wire plug and all the other fans I have seen have only 2. Anyone know where I might source a replacement fan quicker than waiting on char griller?

You know what I do to eliminate excessive fire and heat in the ash bin area of my CG-980…. Two things…

1. I light and load my CG-980 using a chimney starter and dump two loads into the charcoal hopper. Then I place some wood chunks in the hopper and then rotate with unlit charcoal and hardwood chunks until full. Loading the charcoal hopper with pre-lit charcoal eliminates the open flame burning near the rubber flap and fan when using charcoal starters. I know the owners manual says otherwise, but I haven’t had one issue yet doing it this way.
  2. In my ash bin, if I want more hardwood smoke, I’ll load a pellet smoke tube with 50% hardwood chips and 50% hardwood pellets. I tend to get about 2 plus hours of smoke burn time doing this and the excessive heat is kept to a minimum since there is no wild crazy flames burning in the ash bin near the rubber flap and fan. Lastly, there is enough room in the ash bin basket to use 2 pellet smoke tubes safely. Just some options to consider and more importantly to help prevent unnecessary damage to the smoker.

Hopefully in the future, CharGriller will come out with an update/fix to help prevent any of these issues from happening in the future.

Last edited:
CML,
Did try my fan from a local distributor but it just didn’t blow hard enough. Hopefully, they will send out our fans this week. Otherwise I will continue to look on ebay. Seems a number of overseas companies advertise there.

In the mean time, I do love this grill!
3-2-1 ribs

Attachments

• 0B4DBE07-6B52-4669-9B4A-A53640C0A5B8.jpeg
    0B4DBE07-6B52-4669-9B4A-A53640C0A5B8.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 19
I have not. I did get an update email today though.

Hello chris,

Thank you for choosing Char-Griller! I've got good news! Your order has been picked, packed, shipped, and in transit! It is scheduled for delivery on Saturday 10/2/2021 by the end of the day.

I did, just last night, rewire to plug off the OE fan to the new Amazon fan. The fan does fit and mount in the housing, so I will hook it up the the grill tomorrow and fire it up to test.

The OE plug wired to the Amazon fan, previously linked, did not work at all. The warranty replacement fan showed up so I aborted any further attempts to retrofit the other one.

Problem is, I am still getting an intermittent erf fault. Sometimes it will run fine through a cook with no issues, other times it will fault out every 10min and I will have to shut down and unplug it to clear. PITA! So, my replacement fan must be defective.

CG has been advised and has requested pictures of my wiring, which I do not believe is the problem, but I'll be working through it with them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky