8 hrs ............

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sean

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
Yuma, Arizona
My first pork butt with a small flat.

I'm getting hungry. Any good 'slaw recipes out there?
59389edd_vbattach10723.jpg

That's some good looking meat there Sean. :D

I am pretty lazy on making slaw. I just food process some cabbage, dice some onion and bell pepper and if you like spicy food process in on whole jalepeno or whatever type hot pepper you want. Then I swirl in enough Kraft Coleslaw salad dressing to mix everything up. If you can't get the Kraft dressing you can use miracle whip and a little extra sugar.

Hi Sean, I start with 1 cup of mayo, a li'l white or apple cider vinegar <a splash for taste> and a li'l milk to thin it out to your liking, add some dill, salt and pepper to taste. I shave the cabbage and I use a lemon zester to shave a few carrots to add color and crunch. I usually taste as I go ..

Good Luck,
Joe

Heya, Sean! Looking good there! Making me jealous, too! Wicked thunderstorms have pushed my smoke back till tomorrow. And, of course, you know how that all comes together...I am on generator power as we speak.

I was also recently looking for something different in the cole slaw theme. Found two recipes on Epicurious and you will note that I have properly credited both. And remember, I was looking for something different. Gonna try them both soon!

Here Goes:

SUPER SLAW

This colorful Asian-inspired salad is great with grilled ribs, chicken or pork chops.

6 tablespoons rice vinegar
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
5 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
5 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
2 large red or yellow bell peppers, cut into matchstick-size strips
2 medium carrots, peeled, cut into matchstick-size strips
8 large green onions, cut into matchstick-size strips
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Whisk first 7 ingredients in small bowl to blend. (Dressing can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before continuing.)
Combine remaining ingredients in large bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Serves 4 to 6.
Bon AppÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]tit
July 1998

TEXAS SLAW

This crisp, marinated sweet-and-sour slaw is a delicious alternative to creamy coleslaw.

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
8 cups coarsely shredded green cabbage (about 1/2 large head)
1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
1 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 carrot, coarsely shredded

Whisk sugar, vinegar, and oil to blend in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover tightly and refrigerate at least 4 hours, tossing occasionally. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Keep refrigerated.)

Serves 8.
Bon AppÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]tit
November 1993
Rebecca Poynor-Burns: Atlanta, Georgia

My Mom wouldn't call it coleslaw without a little celery seed in the mix.

Pretty common in the Q joints around KC too.

I don't eat Mayo, or anything with mayo, or white creamed sauces. Here is a slaw recipe I found when trying to copy one from a friend.

http://www.umass.edu/umext/nutritio...pes/pineapple_slaw.pdf#search='pineapple slaw'

and another one:

PINEAPPLE SLAW

1 (15 oz) can pineapple chunks, undrained
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. grated orange rind
1/2 tsp celery seeds
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1 (10 ounce) package shredded cabbage
2 large oranges, peeled and sectioned
1 large apple, cut into small chunks

Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup juice.
Whisk together reserved 1/3 cup pineapple juice, oil, and next 5
ingredients in a large bowl until well blended. Add pineapple chunks,
cabbage, orange, and apple; toss gently.

heres a slaw i LOVE

Crazyslaw

1/2 cup mayo (Dukes is the best)
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 tbs lemon juice
1 1/2 tbs white vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
8 cups finely chopped cabbage (one head)
1/4 chopped carrot (one carrot)
2 tbs minced onion

1. Be sure the cabbage and carrots are chopped fine
2. combine mayo, sugar, milk, buttermilk, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper in a large bowl and beat untill smooth
3. add the cabbage, carrots, and onion and mix well
4. cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving

Wow, Thx all. I better be careful when asking questions here! Thanks for all 'slaw recipes ..... I also saved them all. Mine is closest to the "Texas slaw" one ... cept we call it 'The North End Classic" slaw, named after a pro bicycle race we used to host in our downtown. We made gallons of the stuff top serve all the riders and fans .... Kinda sick of it by now! That pineapple looks great ... have to try that one.

After I took that pic, I still had 7 hours left to get the butt up to 195. Wrapped it for 2 hours and it just fell apart. Did the finishing sauce after it shredded itsef and boy did that help! Served it up with regular sauce and also a bottle of Dave's Devil's Spit ....whoo hoo warmish..... on Kaiser rolls and topped with the sour slaw. Darn good eating.

Just dropped 2 racks of spare ribs on .... That's all I could fit, I need a bigger smoker! And, thanks to this site, I pulled the membrane for the first time. That's a tip worth it weight in gold! I'll let you know how it works out.

Happy 4th to you all ..... Hope y'all have a great day.

Becareful, "I need a bigger smoker!" never works out the way we tink it should. the last time I said that, was two years ago, and I am still searching for the best fit for my needs.

Know what ya mean ..... I'm a cheap SOB anyways so it'll be awhile for that reason if no other.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky