600 Gal RF build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Another good night with what some visible progress. I took the 1/4" cutout from the inside firebox and welded it right above the fb/cc opening. It pushed right up against the drip pan, figured that is where I will get the most heat so might as well throw that in there for extra protection...
20200708_185241.jpg
20200708_193152.jpg
20200708_200607.jpg

Reactions: daveomak
Looks good. Almost time to start planning the first cook!!
I know, right. I actually have a company outing that I am supposed to be doing brisket and ribs for 60-70 people in about 4 weeks so I am hoping I get a test run in a time or 2 before then.

Reactions: smokin peachey
Looks like you put a plenum at the bottom of the tube inside the cc? Interesting concept, I am interested on how it will perform vs the conventional external mounting.

Looks like you put a plenum at the bottom of the tube inside the cc? Interesting concept, I am interested on how it will perform vs the conventional external mounting.
I was hoping to add a warming box later so I didn't want the stack and plenum to interfere with that. Figured I can always remove the plenum inside and go with the conventional pipe only if this doesn't work? Kinda just winged it as bit. What's your initial thoughts?

I honestly don’t know for certain. Perhaps the first question is whether an internal plenum performs better than a straight stack set at the same height? It sounds like a fun little science project, but also a rabbit hole I currently don’t have time to explore.

I honestly don’t know for certain. Perhaps the first question is whether an internal plenum performs better than a straight stack set at the same height? It sounds like a fun little science project, but also a rabbit hole I currently don’t have time to explore.
I guess I will roll with this and see what it does. I am assuming someone with way more knowledge then me could plug some data/drawings into a flow simulator/fluid dynamics program and see what pros or cons there are.

Every build seems like it should go faster....but you are making good progress. I Have done a bunch of them and my wife has learned completion will take about twice as long as I confidently estimate at the beginning. Hate to admit it, but she is generally pretty close.

Reactions: dkmiller16
Doors and hinges welded, door straps tacked front and back. Now we need to weld the grates in the frames and finish the vent sliders and door handle. Then figure out the trailer design and we ready to fire her up!
20200722_221943.jpg

Made some great progress tonight! So close to that first run!

20200728_215905.jpg
20200728_210231.jpg

Finished the smoker, needs a couple small tweaks yet, but done to where I can do a couple cooks and see what she does. Seasoned it last night and tomorrow we got a couple brisket and some ribs going on for a company picnic. Like they say, go big or go home!

Here's a couple pics of the first cook. Still have some work to do but I needed to figure out if this thing is going to work

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky