600 Gal RF build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
After checking out multiple pit builders and smoker projects it's time to start putting ideas on the drawing board! The size, diameter, of the tank really got put into perspective once I started drawing it out to actual size on paper! El Fuego is starting to come to life!
20190922_180036.jpg

Reactions: fivetricks
Some slight progress. Hopefully be able to cut the doors out and get everything sandblasted this week. Cutting that firebox opening out with a 4" grinder, 3/8" thick, was definitely a great learning experience. :emoji_astonished: Using a plasma for the doors should go a bit faster I think...

20191105_054328.jpg
20191105_054336.jpg

Think about tack welding up the FB before the doors are cut... Tack it up well to prevent the CC from to much twisting, as the doors are cut... Or so it says in fine print somewhere.... Stress is eased as you are cutting the openings...

Still waiting on material for the firebox and I had a chance to use a plasma to cut into the tank. I cut out the doors and cut all the bungs and replaced with plate. Dropped the tank off the next day to get sandblasted inside and outside and just got it back. Doors both stayed lined up and didn't spring out.
20191107_170151(0).jpg
20191107_180242.jpg
20191107_181608.jpg

Looks like El Fuego is coming along nicely, it will be an awesome smoker when your done!

btw what does El Fuego mean?

Thank you, still a little ways to go and its taking some time to get there.

Borrowed from the Spanish word for fire, fuego is used in English as a slang term for something “excellent” or “sexy,” with the phrase el fuego expressing something “on fire,” or “performing extremely well"

Its a phrase that my friends have used in the past to describe some of the food I have made, also the guy that's helping me with the build uses that a lot so it kind of stuck...

Hoping to finally get back to this project. We have been fortunate to continue working through the entire last couple months but the last 4-6 weeks work has been absolutely insanely busy. Isn't that always how it goes... picked up a 6' long x 10" pipe for my stack and also found a better solution for trailer. Pretty sure I would have killed that little boat trailer with the weight I am seeing that I will have.

Reactions: Archnemysis
I think this 5000# torsion axle and wheels will be a better option.

20200428_200450.jpg

Good to hear you decided to revisit the trailer issue. Your finished cooker will be pushing 2500 lbs. Suggest giving some thought to a tandem axel trailer. Tandems pull and ride a lot better than singles. It makes no sense to spend a lot of time and money building a nice big cooker only to beat it up bouncing down the road.

So I have been debating the design of the smoke stack inside the tank. Do you guys have the pipe just down through the tank or do you recommend a collector type of end inside the tank. Any advice @davdaveom

20200626_105745.jpg

Definitely take the time and built a plenum. Whether it is a “Franklin” design or something of your own creation, it will enhance the airflow and ultimately the overall efficiency of the cooker. They aren’t all that hard to build, before cutting any steel, I always mock one up with either cardboard or plywood to check fit and form.

Reactions: dkmiller16
Welding and cutting day today. Firebox door and vents cuts made fb/cc opening cut and ready to insulate and put the the inner and outer walls together.
20200703_081129.jpg
20200703_085523.jpg
20200703_081129.jpg
20200703_085523.jpg
20200703_105920.jpg

So.....tell us a little about that shop you are working in....judging by the equipment, I am guessing it isn’t simply an attached garage?

So.....tell us a little about that shop you are working in....judging by the equipment, I am guessing it isn’t simply an attached garage?

You are correct, this is not simply an attached garage or my backyard shop. Oh how I wish!!! :emoji_laughing: I did some of the initial cutting and fitting at my work. However I am fortunate to have a very good friend of mine, who does all the fabricating and building, for a local woodworking facility. We have a great business relationship with this company as well. He offered to help me with this build, and the owner said as long as I cover the cost of materials and anything we use, we are welcome to use their facility for this build.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky