60 Gallon Center Firebox Double Reverse Flow Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pittsmoke

Original poster
Nov 18, 2013
This is a little of a slow build as free time is hard to find for me. I have a 60 gallon air compressor tank that I have been wanting to turn into a smoker. I kept tossing different ideas back and forth. I started out thinking I was going to do a SFB Reverse Flow but changed my mind on that. I then decided I would just make it a beefed up UDS since they are so effecient, but I changed my mind on that as well. I think I have finally decided on doing a center firebox, double reverse flow similar to this:

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=107

Since I kept changing my mind so much, I started working on the firebox first. This is what I have so far:

Got the sides all welded together. It is 20x20x20

Welded the back on

Slide in for the fire grate...may have these a little too high, not sure yet

Built the air intakes from two old Chevy starter hulls and back plates. 

Dropped this one on my pinky breaking the end of it just moments after taking this picture...stupid reflexes

Hopefully I can get the opening cut and get these welded in place tonight. 

Howdy, nice start on the firebox. I really looked into Johnson smokers and almost bought one before I decided to build my own.

You might want to consider putting a double plate at the top of the firebox with a 1/2"-3/4" space between. I did that after listening to a few people on the forum and it really helps.

Good luck on the build; looking forward to watching it.

Keith

Howdy, nice start on the firebox. I really looked into Johnson smokers and almost bought one before I decided to build my own.

You might want to consider putting a double plate at the top of the firebox with a 1/2"-3/4" space between. I did that after listening to a few people on the forum and it really helps.

Good luck on the build; looking forward to watching it.

Keith
Thanks Keith, this may be a dumb question but what does this help with? Is it for the temp of the firebox or does it help with flow? Would it sit above the firebox to cooking chamber opening?

I took my firebox, turned it on its top, then put some spacers on the inside of the box on the plate, laid a plate in there and welded it. It keeps a lot more heat in the firebox rather than radiating out the top. More heat in the firebox=more heat to the smoker. Here's a pic.

I fully welded three sides and just heavy tacked the last. I was afraid that pressure would build up if it had no escape route.

I took my firebox, turned it on its top, then put some spacers on the inside of the box on the plate, laid a plate in there and welded it. It keeps a lot more heat in the firebox rather than radiating out the top. More heat in the firebox=more heat to the smoker. Here's a pic.

I fully welded three sides and just heavy tacked the last. I was afraid that pressure would build up if it had no escape route.

I need some advice here guys. Looking at the slides I put in for the fire grate, do you think they are too high? They are about 5" off the bottom. My thinking here was that my intakes have a lip on them that I was going to let sit down inside the firebox a little putting the air coming in under the fire and up and out to the CC. What do you guys think about that? Should I move them down? Here are a few pics of what I am thinking. Sorry they aren't complete I just wanted to throw something together for a visual. This is the firebox with the sides and back on.

Looks good! Personally I would want the slide down to about 3-1/2" off bottom. I have no good reason except all that area under grate seems kinda useless. You can leave it for now and change later if you need to.

If your firebox is tall enough that you will have plenty of room above the flame, then go for it. Like Dave said, plenty of room for ashes. I'd probably change those vents though, unless you are planing to just run charcoal.

If your firebox is tall enough that you will have plenty of room above the flame, then go for it. Like Dave said, plenty of room for ashes. I'd probably change those vents though, unless you are planing to just run charcoal.
Why is that and how would you change them? I probably will use mostly charcoal but just in case I want to use sticks...

usually charcoal Cooks use baskets, and prefer that the fire burns front to back. wood burners tend to prefer more even air flow.  If you think you want to burn wood, just add multiple air intakes down the sides. Make them independantly adjustable and you will be set to go either way.   I use pie vents on the bottom of my square fireboxes, thats why you will only see a single row of vents on the doors.

Oh ok, I actually planned to put them both on one side. I want the door to swing to the right and have both intakes on the left. I just drew it wrong in the drawing quickly. Both have their own cap that screws in and out to adjust airflow. I see what you are saying about the even airflow, I had not thought about that. Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky