60 Day Aged NY Strip Steak Dinner...OMG!! (Heavy Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
A couple months ago I posted a thread about 45 day aged Rib Eye steaks I'd done with a 22# rib roast. That post garnered a lot of attention and I mentioned that I was planning to do a couple of strip roasts for 60 days and cutting them into NY Strip steaks. That dinner happened yesterday and they were far and again the best steaks any of us had ever had. I've eaten in 5-star steak houses at over $200 a plate that weren't this good.

The menu was:
-Smoked salmon dip (never made it before) served with sliced smoked xtra sharp cheddar cheese and club crackers
-Broccoli and sour cream dip served in a loaf of fresh baked sourdough bread
-10) 2" thick NY strip steaks
-Mushrooms stuffed with garlic mashed potatoes roasted in butter and garlic
-More mashed potatoes for those that didn't want mushrooms
-Savory beef gravy
-Fresh baked croissants and butter
-Garden salad with all fresh veggies out of one of our guest's garden
-Homemade cheesecake for dessert (sorry, no pics) also made by one of our guests

Here are the roasts when sealed in the UMAi bags just over 2 months ago
006.jpg

007.jpg

60 days later still in the UMAi bags
051.jpg

Out pf the UMAi bags
052.jpg

Trimmed and sliced into steaks
054.jpg

Look at the coloring!!
055.jpg

Broccoli and sour cream dip
094.jpg

Loaf of fresh sourdough bread
095.jpg

Slice around the outside and remove the bread from inside. This will become the vessel for the broccoli dip and the chunks of bread to pile the dip on. One of our favorites!!
096.jpg

Dip loaded into the loaf and bread pieces for dipping
102.jpg

Homemade smoked salmon dip with smoked xtra sharp cheddar and club crackers. More to follow
103.jpg

Garlic mashed potatoes
098.jpg

A couple dozen mushrooms with stems removed and cleaned out
097.jpg

A baking dish with lots of melted butter and fresh garlic
099.jpg

Mushrooms stuffed with garlic mashed potatoes, into the baking dish, and sprinkled with fresh ground black pepper
100.jpg

Steaks seasoned with salt and pepper only
106.jpg

Everything onto the grill
107.jpg

Steaks after the flip. Had a little flare-up so a couple got a bit of char, but this was OK.
108.jpg

Mushrooms done and ready to take off the grill
109.jpg

The spread laid out and ready to serve...with the executive chef in the background (2 pics)
110.jpg

111.jpg

Money shot. Steaks perfectly cooked, croissants, mushrooms, salad in the bowl, and butter for the rolls.
112.jpg

Now to summarize a few things.First off, the meal was simply superb. As stated, the best steak I've ever had!!

STEAKS:
As good as they were, I'll won't do strip roasts again for long term aging. They are not very thick to begin with then with loss due to the aging process and having to trim the dried meat from the outside, the yield was not worth the time and effort....but they sure were good!! If you attempt long term aging I suggest not cooking the steaks beyond medium rare. You lose a lot of the aged flavor. It is most noticeable when juicy and red to pink in the center. There is a definite difference in the aged flavor going from 45 days to 60 days. I'd like to go a bit further with it but everybody else said it was perfect so I guess I found the happy spot.

SALMON DIP:
I've never smoked salmon before and never made a dip. I read a ton of recipes for both and they were all over the charts. I saw a few common denominators like dill and capers, but after that it was a crap shoot. I got tired of looking at other people's recipes and just made up my own, both for smoking the salmon and for the dip. I was very happy with the results but every single person said it was absolutely fantastic....and I'm OK with that. It has a very deep, rich succulent flavor with a nice smokiness and just a hint of spice tingle. The salmon itself is perfectly done and I made sure to have it very forward in the flavor profile. Man it was good!! If anybody would like to give it a shot, please just say so and I'll post the process and the recipes.

Next will be a bone-in Prime Rib, 60 days aged, and probably slow roasted on the BGE. I'll pick that up tomorrow on the way home from work and get it going. In the mean time...we are...

Happy in Lago,
Robert

"wow! that's quite the meal, everything looks great, great pics."

"WOW! Your steaks and all the fixing look incredible,you had some lucky guests! like"

Thank you both for the kind words. It was a lot of time and a lot of work but well worth the effort. You just don't walk into a restaurant and get a meal like this, regardless of the price. There is just something about doing it all yourself that far surpasses anything you can get commercially. Your commentary is greatly appreciated, as well as the "likes"

Once again humbled,
Robert

Reactions: crazymoon
Everytime I've had the pleasure of being invited to one of Robert's epic meal we always walk away saying that's the best meal ever. Robert my brother, you never disappoint us with your culinary delights. It was all 5 star quailty and I'm looking forward to the next one! :emoji_wink:

"Bravo! Wonderful looking meal and I know with all that time invested it had to be good! Great work!!"

"Wow everything turned out looking Great"

"Looks great, nice work."

Thank you all very much for the kind words. It was a lot of work but well worth the effort. There's just something about spending so much time putting together a dinner like this for your best friends that's beyond words. I just wish I could do it every weekend....but then it may lose some of the "specialness" of only doing it every couple of months.

Cookin' it up in Lago,
Robert

"Everytime I've had the pleasure of being invited to one of Robert's epic meal we always walk away saying that's the best meal ever. Robert my brother, you never disappoint us with your culinary delights. It was all 5 star quailty and I'm looking forward to the next one! :emoji_wink:"

Ricky my brother, you know we always consider it an honor when you and your lovely bride come spend time with us. If you're gonna drive 250 miles to get here the least I can do is put on decent spread or you :emoji_wink:

Love ya brother and can't wait to see you and Connie again!! Next time bring your burlap thong as the pool will hopefully be warm enough to enjoy!!

R, T, & B

WHOA!! A ride on the carousel. I didn't see that coming. Thank you p c farmer!! Once again I am honored and humbled to be amongst such esteemed company.

WOW!!
Robert

"Robert, yes please post the salmon dip recipe. Sounds wonderful!"

Here ya go. Apologies for the slow response. The weather here has been atrocious and I've been dodging bullets all week.

SMOKED SALMON
2 ½ to 3 lb. salmon fillet (Norwegian is best for smoking)
3 T kosher salt
2 T sugar
2 T brown sugar
½ T crushed black pepper

Mix all ingredients together. Place fillet on a large piece of plastic wrap and rub one side with half of the brine mix. Turn fillet over and rub with the other half of the brine mix. Wrap fillet in plastic wrap and place in a baking pan. Put another baking pan on top and weigh it down with a rock or something pretty heavy. I used a 6-pack of soda. There will be considerable moisture coming out of the fillet as it brines so bottom pan must have depth to contain the brine. Let sit overnight and flip fillet once approximately halfway through. Remove fillet from plastic wrap and rinse well in cold water to remove the brining mix and pat dry with paper towels. Smoke appx. 4 to 5 hours at 170* - 180* until internal temp reaches 150 and meat is flaky on the outside. Let sit uncovered overnight in the fridge. Cut into portions and vac seal. Recommend using a bread cooling rack sprayed with non-stick cooking spray to smoke the fish on as it will stick to the grates on the smoker. Fish will be very delicate so handle carefully to keep it from falling apart.

DIP
8 oz. cream cheese softened
1 cup sour cream
1 T chopped fresh dill
2 t Smoked Paprika
1 t lemon juice
½ medium red onion finely chopped
1 T capers roughly chopped
½ t ground red pepper (cayenne)
½ lb. smoked salmon

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl for serving. For best results, cover and let sit in fridge overnight so flavors can merry.

I had a teaspoon of kosher salt in the recipe but deleted it for this post and will delete it from the recipe. By the time the capers had exuded their salt into the dip, it was just a bit too much salt. You may like it a bit saltier but w are not huge fans of salt, and quite honestly, you won't miss it.

Hope you enjoy it as much as myself and our guests did. This is REALLY good!! If you decide to make it, please let me know how it turns out. I'm curious as I read some recipes from some pretty high-powered chefs that I discounted before coming up with my own recipe.

Robert

Last edited:

Here ya go. Apologies for the slow response. The weather here has been atrocious and I've been dodging bullets all week.

SMOKED SALMON
3 T kosher salt
2 T sugar
2 T brown sugar
½ T crushed black pepper

Mix all ingredients together. Place fillet on a large piece of plastic wrap and rub one side with half of the brine mix. Turn fillet over and rub with the other half of the brine mix. Wrap fillet in plastic wrap and place in a baking pan. Put another baking pan on top and weigh it down with a rock or something pretty heavy. I used a 6-pack of soda. There will be considerable moisture coming out of the fillet as it brines so bottom pan must have depth to contain the brine. Let sit overnight and flip fillet once approximately halfway through. Remove fillet from plastic wrap and rinse well in cold water to remove the brining mix and pat dry with paper towels. Smoke appx. 4 to 5 hours until internal temp reaches 150 and meat is flaky on the outside. Let sit uncovered overnight in the fridge. Cut into portions and vac seal. Recommend using a bread cooling rack sprayed with non-stick cooking spray to smoke the fish on as it will stick to the grates on the smoker. Fish will be very delicate so handle carefully to keep it from falling apart.

DIP
1 cup sour cream
1 T chopped fresh dill
2 t Smoked Paprika
1 t lemon juice
½ lb. smoked salmon

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl for serving. For best results, cover and let sit in fridge overnight so flavors can merry.

I had a teaspoon of kosher salt in the recipe but deleted it for this post and will delete it from the recipe. By the time the capers had exuded their salt into the dip, it was just a bit too much salt. You may like it a bit saltier but w are not huge fans of salt, and quite honestly, you won't miss it.

Hope you enjoy it as much as myself and our guests did. This is REALLY good!! If you decide to make it, please let me know how it turns out. I'm curious as I read some recipes from some pretty high-powered chefs that I discounted before coming up with my own recipe.

Robert

Oh brother that reads good! Thanks loads Robert. I’ll let you know the results.

Matt

SMOKED SALMON
3 T kosher salt
2 T sugar
2 T brown sugar
½ T crushed black pepper

Mix all ingredients together. Place fillet on a large piece of plastic wrap and rub one side with half of the brine mix. Turn fillet over and rub with the other half of the brine mix. Wrap fillet in plastic wrap and place in a baking pan. Put another baking pan on top and weigh it down with a rock or something pretty heavy. I used a 6-pack of soda. There will be considerable moisture coming out of the fillet as it brines so bottom pan must have depth to contain the brine. Let sit overnight and flip fillet once approximately halfway through. Remove fillet from plastic wrap and rinse well in cold water to remove the brining mix and pat dry with paper towels. Smoke appx. 4 to 5 hours until internal temp reaches 150 and meat is flaky on the outside. Let sit uncovered overnight in the fridge. Cut into portions and vac seal. Recommend using a bread cooling rack sprayed with non-stick cooking spray to smoke the fish on as it will stick to the grates on the smoker. Fish will be very delicate so handle carefully to keep it from falling apart.

DIP
1 cup sour cream
1 T chopped fresh dill
2 t Smoked Paprika
1 t lemon juice
½ lb. smoked salmon

Robert

What temp where you smoking the salmon at? Everything in this thread is mouth watering. I definitely want to make this dip. Looks amazing.

"What temp where you smoking the salmon at? Everything in this thread is mouth watering. I definitely want to make this dip. Looks amazing."

BRAIN FART!! I can't believe I left that out of the recipe. I smoked it between 170 and 180 with hickory. The recipe above has been edited and now states that. You don't want to get the smoker temp too high or the fish will cook too fast and not get enough smoke flavor. It needs a strong smokiness to it or it'll be lost in the dip and all you get is the flavor of the fish.

Thanks so much for the kind words....and the enlightenment of having had a brain fart :emoji_laughing:

Suffering from CRS,
Robert

"Outstanding spread, Robert !!
Everything looks Awesome!!
Like.

Bear"

Thank you Bear!! Once again sir, coming from you, that's very high honors.

Side note: I'm on my 3rd large batch of BBBB in the last month and a half, the most recent of which was cured and is dry again in UMAi bags. It's getting close to being ready so be on the lookout in the near future for a post about it. Additionally, I turned my buddy Ricky ( woodwindricky woodwindricky ) onto the BBBB last weekend when he and his wife came out for this dinner. Every time they come to visit they stay the night and I cook up a nice breakfast on Sunday morning. He is now champing at the bit to get a big batch of this going. Apparently it was VERY well received by them. Your legacy lives on sir!!

Spreading the fame of Bear,
Robert

"Aged steaks are not my fave but these look like I might have to rethink it...very nice! Like!"

Food for thought (no pun intended). I did a massive amount of research before stating to dry age meat. Just didn't want to screw up a $300 roast so took my time figuring it out. If it's the aged flavor that you're not fond of, you can age them for 30 days and there will not be any discernible difference in flavor. You won't get the noticeable flavor difference until you get to (or past) 45 days. At 30 days however you'll see a tremendous improvement in coloring, texture, and tenderness of the meat. Additionally, you don't want to try aging individual steaks. By the time they dry and get trimmed, there just anything left. You'll want to do a large, whole primal cut of beef.

Checking the puns at the door,
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky