60# Batch Wild/Domestic Hog Cajun Smoke Sausage...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Been going through the freezers eating and processing stuff clearing out to make room for the upcoming hunting seasons. Today it was a big run of Cajun Smoke sausage. This is a half batch of the full recipe.

Stuffed, in a bag on ice until tomorrow when I roll some smoke to them.
IMG_20220920_191214.jpg

Gonna hit them with Wild Black Cherry and either Pecan or Hickory depending on what I have cut into chunks already. More pics. tomorrow when I load the smokehouse.....gonna get an early start...

Last edited:
This batch is roughly 70/30...maybe 65/35 lean to fat. I had 4# of Pastured Berkshire fat in the freezer that needed to be used up. It will bring a lot of flavor to the wild hog meat. And I'm perfectly OK with the higher fat content when using wild pig. Used the trim from making the recent batch of Pistachio and Lemon Salami and it was high in fat as well. This is the last of the big 200+# sow I got last fall (the same one I made wild hog bacon out of)...very clean meat. Will be a good sausage...

I'm using citric acid at a rate of 0.05% in this batch. After the thread posted by Cajuneric on Nitrousamines....figure it can't hurt. Will see if it gives a better color too after smoking.
I use sodium erythorbate at .05% in most every cured product I make( not in dried or semi dried sausage), and see no reason to not keep using it. I also think the color is better and stays longer when frozen longer. You won’t be disappointed really no down side to using it.

I see in some of the PDO Italian salami recipes that they permit the use of sodium erythorbate. It helps prevent fat rancidity in long aged salami. I will likely start using it.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I use sodium erythorbate at .05% in most every cured product I make( not in dried or semi dried sausage), and see no reason to not keep using it. I also think the color is better and stays longer when frozen longer. You won’t be disappointed really no down side to using it.
Same here, not night and day difference but quality bump for sure. I use ascorbic acid/vit C in fresh stuff and get similar bump. I plan on fooling with increasing it a bit and trying citric to see if more improvement. My fave bfast sausage (Bob Evans) definitely has an acidic edge almost like a ferment to it and one of the reasons I like it so much.

60# HALF BATCH?!?!?! Holy moley. Looks killer!

60# HALF BATCH?!?!?! Holy moley. Looks killer!
Yes, the original recipe is for 120# of sausage. And as much as I would like to share the recipe with you guys, I am bound by a promise not to post it.The Cajun Smoke sausage and Andouille recipes are family recipes. The Andouille sausage is from the restaurant where between 100-500# were made weekly. Most was used in the restaurant, but they did sell some to the public. It has since closed down, but I still can't share it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky