5lb shoulder for an all day smoke 0530 start- With Q-View!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bobank03

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Nutting Lake MA USA
Good morning all SMF! Picked up a nice 5lb pork shoulder at the local grocery store that I usually don't shop in.

Don't know if the news about our local Market Basket chain is making it out to the big world, but we have three of them in town and I had to go to the next town over to do my grocery shopping.

Anyway, I got the shoulder, got it out of the fridge last and rubbed it all up good with some cajun seasoning, chili powder, cumin, red pepper and garlic powder along with some honey as a base to hold it all together.

Rolled out of bed at 0530 and fired up the half chimney of Royal Oak lump and fired her up. The chimney dumped into the minion charcoal setup pan of my Brinkmann ECB at about 6am and now we are just waiting for the smoker temps to get up to speed while the wrapped shoulder waits on the counter, coming up to room temps. I anticipate the shoulder will be on the smoker at 645! 

Hope you guys will check me out during the day! Have a great Saturday and remember your smoker misses you. Go get some meat and get that TBS in the air! 

Note: I don't mind doing that at all. See the non-union workers (no one is unionized) walked off the job when the majority holding share holders removed the long time and beloved CEO. The workers responded by walking off in all of their 70+ store in MA, NH and Maine. * Walked off, not for more money, or better benefits or anything. But because their boss got fired. I support the workers and I know several other fired workers (supporters of the CEO) who were terminated. I have even met the CEO. I have been shopping with these folks for the last 30 years and they are great folks! 

Last edited:

5 lbs wrapped and rubbed the night before waiting it's time...

ECB pan setup with the minion method, right after the chimney dump. A small flame in the chunk can, but I dribbled some water in to slow it down a little. 

Through the front door, gone the AMNTS fired up and it will be providing the majority of the smoke for todays pork Shoulder. 

Shoulder on, drip pans in place. Waiting for the shoulder to heat up a bit before I insert the meat probe from the Maverick ET-732.

Cruising along just under 240, happy smoker! 

I wish I'd have seen your post earlier!

Quote:
Lookin good so far... Time for some coffee with a splash of Baileys....
biggrin.gif
Thanks for that, I appreciate it. Thanks for looking! 

1130 and we have the shoulder at 158 and the smoker running 220-235 most of the morning. As soon as we hit 160 I'm gonna foil up in a pan and add some apple juice (and a few other secret ingredients) and let this baby run on propane until we get to the magic number!

More qview  when I open to move to the pan. 

Bob,

Looking good, hope your stall isn't too long. I've gone to using plain unsweetened apple juice & Captain Morgan spiced rum mix for spritz and foil. Saw that somewhere on this forum. Good tasty bark with Jeff's rub and not bad to sip on either.

Keep on smokin'
RG

Bob,

Looking good, hope your stall isn't too long. I've gone to using plain unsweetened apple juice & Captain Morgan spiced rum mix for spritz and foil. Saw that somewhere on this forum. Good tasty bark with Jeff's rub and not bad to sip on either.

Keep on smokin'
RG
Can't go wrong with that mix! I decided not to wrap like I originally planned. I really like a lot of bark and I think if I foil up now that isn't going to  happen. I think the spritzing is a good idea. I use a little something different in my apple juice from the old country. Just enough for a few sips for me and a few sips for the pig. 

I just switched from lump charcoal to my propane burner so I can get some higher temps to finish up. She's already had close to 6 hours of smoke, so now it's just to get her going again. I'm currently running at 265 and the IT of the shoulder slid down a couple to 154. She'll start picking up again when that fat gets broken down good. 

Last edited:
All looks awesome from here man.... Thumbs Up That barks lookin good, a nice bark is my fav part of smoking a butt ! :beercheer:

Well 10 hour mark and at it of 190. Still got a bit to go! I should be able to get it to 205 I. Another hour or so. I was hoping to take it off at 430 so I could eat at 630... might have to eat a snack or have a beer to hold me over

It ain't a bad thing at all. Helps put the day in perspective I suppose. The shoulder is moving right along at 196 now. Won't be too much longer.

It ain't a bad thing at all. Helps put the day in perspective I suppose. The shoulder is moving right along at 196 now. Won't be too much longer.

Yeah, your for sure in the home stretch.... Can't wait to see some pics of it pulled in a while.... Your in for some good eats ! :beercheer:

Absolutely. I haven't had and pp this season. Last I made was a small 3 lb butt that I did last winter. It came out really good but it needed a little note bark. I think I nailed it this time!

Now I'm thinking pp Mac n cheese...pp fatties... love it!

Absolutely. I haven't had and pp this season. Last I made was a small 3 lb butt that I did last winter. It came out really good but it needed a little note bark. I think I nailed it this time!

Now I'm thinking pp Mac n cheese...pp fatties... love it!

Good for you man, well deserved ! PP is so versatile, it goes with or in a lot of good stuff ! Enjoy !! :beercheer:

For sure. Tonights batch will be treated to some Carolina finishing sauce and some Cole slaw piled on top of a nice roll. Green beans on the side... my adult son and I are playing nine holes tomorrow and after we will revisit the pp for another sandwich or two. All the rest will be frozen for future endeavors... pulled pork and eggs over easy...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky