55 Gallon offset build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PRB0425

Original poster
Apr 2, 2018
Washington NC
I have started working on a new offset smoker. I have built several large smokers from 250 and 500 gallon propane tanks but never a smaller version for my back porch. I scored a 55 gallon drum that was used for olive oil and had no liner. I am trying to keep this smoker simple going with more of an Aaron Franklin approach. Here are the pictures so far let me know what you guys think.
IMG_3587.jpg

IMG_3583.jpg

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3585.jpg

IMG_3586.jpg

IMG_3589.jpg

IMG_3590.jpg

I got some time last night to get the smoker almost finished. I was able to do a test run and i am really happy with how this turned out.
IMG_3593.jpg

IMG_3594.jpg

IMG_3595.jpg

IMG_3597.jpg

I really like the design of that! I have a bunch of angle iron laying around and a welder. Not much skill, but have materials. I have some smaller drums that were used to transport nickel, not sure if they are safe or not though. may steal some of you design.

I really like the design of that! I have a bunch of angle iron laying around and a welder. Not much skill, but have materials. I have some smaller drums that were used to transport nickel, not sure if they are safe or not though. may steal some of you design.

Here is a rough sketch of the dimensions I used for this smoker. Feel free to copy what ever you want. There is also a guy on YouTube called Allen's Welding and he has several videos on building grills and smokers from 55 gallon drums.

upload_2018-4-4_13-14-19.png

Reactions: kawboy
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky