544 Pages Of Meat Curing Greatness.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 17, 2009
Hendertucky, Nv.
I just got my new book. "Great Sausage Recipes And Meat Curing" by Rytek Kutas 4th Edition. I don't even know where to start, wait I'm a sopressata fan, I just can't get enough of that stuff. I guess that's where I just might start. See what this place has done to me.
icon_mrgreen.gif
 I'm turning into a large happy mammal.

9b8ae987_rytek.jpg

Great book with lots of great info

I have read my copy cover-to-cover MULTIPLE times. The summer sausage I just did (in 2parts) was taken DIRECTLY from that book and the results were amazing. Mmm...

The only challenge is that SOMETIMES I don't want to make 10 lb. I want to make... two. Or three. So I am slowly learning how to convert by fifths well. ;) I scribble notes in all the white space around the tops of the pages. I bought PostIt note flag-tags to mark what I've made, what I want to make... all kinds of stuff.

One of my favorite tips in there is the mixing of spices etc in a blender with the liquids before you mix up the sausage. Really helps ensure even distribution.

in other words.. .YAY. Great book. ::applause::

I have read my copy cover-to-cover MULTIPLE times. The summer sausage I just did (in 2parts) was taken DIRECTLY from that book and the results were amazing. Mmm...

The only challenge is that SOMETIMES I don't want to make 10 lb. I want to make... two. Or three. So I am slowly learning how to convert by fifths well. ;) I scribble notes in all the white space around the tops of the pages. I bought PostIt note flag-tags to mark what I've made, what I want to make... all kinds of stuff.

One of my favorite tips in there is the mixing of spices etc in a blender with the liquids before you mix up the sausage. Really helps ensure even distribution.

Get with Squirrel and get them large batches vacuum packed, just stand back!!! 
icon_cool.gif

He used to make the fair circuit teaching it and selling his book years ago... Still have mine and still reference it regularly.  He passed away a while back. 1999

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

I have had his book for years now and I find myself looking back at it all the time. Some of the recipes he has inside are really good to.

I don't buy many books or I would probably know this... but, is there a very big difference between a 3rd edition and a 4th edition? Isn't it just another run of the same thing? Or are there updates? I don't suppose anyone here has more than one edition of this same book? It seems there is about a $10 price difference between the two. Don't get me wrong... I'll get the 4th edition if there are updates that make it worth it but if they are both the same... Well... I would rather save the money.

This is a great book for sure - I also have the Chartuterie book and love it as much

kQyGQAAACAAJ&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1&l=80.png

I'm just getting start too meateater, I loved the tutorial Princess did on her sausage maker and I just went to their website to order one (wanted to talk to her first though). I have the Charcuterie book in my "save for later" section at Amazon! We are too much alike and that is very creepy! LOL! I'll go check out the book you recommended. WooHoo! I want to get a vertical smoker. Dang, yet another item on the wish list.

I have and use both of those books also.

Princess,

There's another way but you need a scale that weighs in ounces/grams. I usually make up enough seasoning for 25 Lbs. then I weigh the whole mess and divide by 25. That give me the weight for 1 Lb. of sausage. I always write that on a piece of paper and store it with the seasoning mix. 

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky