50 lbs O' Summer Sausage

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by solaryellow, Nov 6, 2010.

1. solaryellow

solaryellow Limited Mod Group Lead

Last night I had a couple buddies come over and we decimated a 28lbs chuck roll and a 22 lbs chuck roll. We managed to cut, grind, mix and stuff it all in under 4 hours. We made 30 lbs of regular and 20 lbs of jalapeno. Regular summer sausage is on the left and jalapeño summer sausage is on the right. I put a single additional knot in the jalapeño so I can tell which is which. 

[​IMG]

Loading up the cabinet smoker.

[​IMG]

Three rows deep.

[​IMG]

Care to guess what I am sending out as Christmas presents this year? [​IMG]

old poi dog likes this.
  2. alblancher

alblancher Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Do you cure your summer sausage.  Looks like it went from the stuffer directly into the smoker.  Why not post a recipe for us?

Al

3. solaryellow

Yes I do cure it. My typical process is to cut and grind the chuck rolls, then mix the meat with cure and spices. It then goes into the refrigerator for 24 hours before stuffing. This weekend however, my helpers had prior commitments for today so we stuffed last night as we were mixing. Then the tubs went into the refrigerator overnight and I started drying in the cabinet about 2:30pm.

The recipe I use is based on one I got from Len Poli's website with my own tweaks and modifications.

10lbs ground chuck

1 1/2 cups nonfat dry milk

4 tbs salt

3 tbs corn syrup solids

2 1/2 tbs dextrose

5 tsp phosphate

5 tsp soy protein concentrate

2 tbs paprika

2 tsp cure #1

2 heaping tsp minced garlic

1 tbs ground white pepper

2 tsp encapsulated citric acid

2 tbs mustard seed

1 tsp ground celery

1 tsp coriander

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1 tbs onion powder

2 tbs cracked black pepper

2 cups ice water

The recipe does scale well for anyone who wants to do a bigger or smaller batch. 10lbs is about the right size for the tubs I use to mix in.

4. solaryellow

I forgot the jalapeno part. To make them jalapeno summer sausages just add a 1/2 cup of dried jalapeno to the mixture. It doesn't take much but it really makes a difference in flavor. 

5. mrsb

mrsb Smoking Fanatic

Have you broken into one yet for a "test"?

Would love to see a sliced pic

6. solaryellow

Not yet. They are at around 140* now. Hopefully they will be done by 1am which should get me to bed by 3am. I will certainly post some pics tomorrow. [​IMG]

Here is a pic from my first attempt at summer sausage using pretty close to the same recipe above. This was a cheddar and jalapeno version.

[​IMG]

7. old poi dog

old poi dog Master of the Pit OTBS Member

[​IMG]   my friend...

8. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

What plate are you grinding it thru?

9. solaryellow

3/16 Brian.

10. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That what I thought but wasnt sure. Im about to make a bunch too.

11. solaryellow

Nice! Mine is still cooking away. Looks like 3am was a pipe dream. At least we fall back tonight. [​IMG]

12. what internal temp are you shooting for?

13. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

You are a vertial sausage machine there Joel. I really like the recipe and I have to make some more asap to. Now I have a couple of your recipes and you should try your own gyro sausage but use all lamb in it like I did and it came out super good.

14. solaryellow

160*. Here is the original recipe if you are interested in it before my tweaking. http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/beef-summer sausage smoked-.pdf

Every other week it definitely seems that way. lol

I am not a fan of lamb. I like it smoked and I like it mixed with beef but I have a hard time with just straight up lamb. Glad you are liking the gyro sausage recipe though. That was my first from scratch sausage recipe. 

15. solaryellow

Here you go MrsB. This one is sliced open from the batch I was smoking last night. Let me know if you have any questions.

[​IMG]Quote:

16. solaryellow

Here is what my garage fridge is looking like at the moment.

[​IMG]

I will let them sit in the fridge over night and then vacuum seal them tomorrow.

17. thanks solar,i've been trying to find an internal temp for deer bogolna,this will help,again thanks!

18. mrsb

mrsb Smoking Fanatic

Looks beautiful.  And yea, a ton of questions but will wait to hound you when I am actually closer to attempting my own.

19. solaryellow

Unless I do something dumb (which is always a possibility), I should be around. [​IMG]

One of the nice things about summer sausage is that it requires no equipment to make it. You can buy ground beef (and pork) and then season and cure it. The fibrous casings are more than big enough that you really don't need a stuffer to stuff them. It just takes a little bit of time and patience.

20. squirrel

squirrel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Dude. That is unfreakin' believable. I am in awe. I soooo want you to take me under your wing and teach me stuff. PLEEEEEZZZEEEE. I sooo want to learn more. Thanks for an awesome post!