5.5lb chuck roast for pulling

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoking at 4am

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 23, 2021
Western Massachusetts
Hi guys, I have a 5.5lb chuck roast I'm gonna smoke tomorrow. Doing a dry brine tonight gonna take it up between 205°-210°. Gonna wrap it at about 160°. I have apple, cherry, hickory, and a bourbon barrel to smoke with, I think I'm leaning towards hickory. I'm gonna pull half of it and cut steaks on the other half. Thoughts or tips? Pics to come.
20210910_174702.jpg

Good ideas on the pulled plan. I take mine to 210. Save and defat your juices. Not sure I understand the "cut steaks" plan. Could you tell us more about that? Nice looking hunk of beef
I was thinking of slicing the roast thin like a brisket on one half, not actually cut steaks. If it doesn't work out I can just pull the whole thing anyway.

Reactions: Steve H and TNJAKE
Sounds like a great plan. I second using oak for smoking wood. But of the ones you mentioned, I would choose hickory.

Looks like a good start. Maybe slice off what you want for sliced at a lower IT more suited for slicing and then take the rest on to the IT you want for pulling. Either way, Im in for the finish.
Jim
Sometimes the simple things elude me, slicing in half and taking half off the grill at the lower IT to slice makes much more sense. The party got put off till tomorrow but I have the rub on and can't wait to get it on the smoker
20210911_094636.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
It's been a while since I've seen a bone-in chuck. No one around me sells them anymore...
I get all my beef, chicken, and pork locally from a friend. It's nice to know the farmer, how the animals are raised, and where they are slaughtered. I can request any cut of meat and in 2 weeks its usually ready.

Nice cut of meat! I was also wondering about the steak idea. I have a chuck in the crockpot now for dinner. Can't beat them low and slow either way.

Reactions: Smoking at 4am
Haven't seen a 7 bone chuck in a long time around here .
Be watching for the slice , and at what temp .
I had one a few years ago that didn't want to shred . Went all the way to 211 IT and sliced it . Man it was good .

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Haven't seen a 7 bone chuck in a long time around here .
Be watching for the slice , and at what temp .
I had one a few years ago that didn't want to shred . Went all the way to 211 IT and sliced it . Man it was good .
Hopefully I have better luck with the shredding, do you remember what temp you smoked it at? The peice for slicing is almost at temp, gonna hold that in double tinfoil wrap in my towel lined cooler while keeping the probe in to monitor the temp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky