5-1 ST.LOUIS RIBS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
Did two racks of St. Louis ribs yesterday. Didnt take a bunch of picture but here is how it went.

Started out having Ryder cut up some sausage for baked beans to go along with them. He did a fine job!
0328201352a.jpg

And this is where the pictures fall short....
I started with course salt and coarse black pepper liberally on both sides of the racks. Got the UDS going with lump and added a couple fist size chunks of cherry wood. Ran all day right between 220°-230° . I was very pleased with the small temp swings. Normally if I was going to sauce or glaze I like to use the 3-2-1 method..or some variation of that idea. I didnt want to sauce these so I thought I would just wrap when I started to get some pull back on the bones. Well five hours in and there was little to no pull back. Temp was looking good on the ribs so I went ahead and wrapped with butter and just a splash of water for some moisture. Left them on for an hour then let them sit on the counter for about 30 min before cutting them up.

Here is one rack unwrapped .
0328202042.jpg

And Ryders baked beans. They were tasty with all that smoked sausage in them.
0328201924.jpg

A couple of cut pics.
0328202058.jpg
0328202100b.jpg

They were very moist and juicy. Great smoke flavor . they had perfect texture. Nice clean bones but held together great. Had a nice smoke ring as well.
0328202120b.jpg

I was not sure how they were going to be after I was not getting much pull back from the bone but these were probably one of the best St.louis cut of ribs ive made. So I guess the 5-1 method worked out well and most likely I'll do it again.
Thanks for taking a look!

Good Looking Ribs Nice Job and the Beans look great too

Gary

Those ribs look to be nice and juicy with a fine color Travis, great piece of work, Like! Wonderful to see how your boy loves being involved in the kitchen, that will pan out later in life as he won't be dependent on anyone else to be able to eat well. RAY

Great looking ribs . I like no sauce ribs . I'd be all over the beans too .

Now those are some great lookin' ribs Sowsage

LIKE!

John
Thank you John !
Man, that's some good looking beans too!
Beans were real good!
Good Looking Ribs Nice Job and the Beans look great too

Gary
Thanks Gary !
Nice looking ribs and glad to see your helper is doing a great job too. Great to see the young ones into cooking.

Warren
Thanks Warren! It's fun to have the kids in the kitchen!
Man, those look great. Really good color!!!
Thanks! I was real happy with the color!
Those ribs look to be nice and juicy with a fine color Travis, great piece of work, Like! Wonderful to see how your boy loves being involved in the kitchen, that will pan out later in life as he won't be dependent on anyone else to be able to eat well. RAY
Thanks RAY! I totally agree! Plus if I teach them now I wont have to worry about what food they bring me when I cant cook anymore! Lol!
Great looking ribs . I like no sauce ribs . I'd be all over the beans too .
Thanks chopsaw! Salt pepper and the right kind of thin blue smoke is all I need on a lot of stuff. And the beans were great. It was Ryders idea to do the sausage in them.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky