• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

40 to 140 in 4...A Guideline and what to consider...

tallbm

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
Fellas - One brisket turned out good, but the other is stew meat. I'd like to give/get feedback, but definitely don't want to hijack this thread any more than I already have. I know some admins are pretty strict on that stuff and as a new member, I don't want to go pissing in someone's Cheerios, haha. Where would be the best place to post the results and a few questions? Again, I really appreciate all the help. Overall, it was a great birthday.
Post under the Beef section about your brisket experience. I look forward to reading the details :)

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Fellas - One brisket turned out good, but the other is stew meat. I'd like to give/get feedback, but definitely don't want to hijack this thread any more than I already have. I know some admins are pretty strict on that stuff and as a new member, I don't want to go pissing in someone's Cheerios, haha. Where would be the best place to post the results and a few questions? Again, I really appreciate all the help. Overall, it was a great birthday.

Go here (below), click on Post New Thread (in box on right).
Then Start your own Thread, with Pics, if you have some.

Go here:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forums/beef.101/

Bear

Americo4

Joined Jun 8, 2019
Newbie- and can’t figure out how to start a new thread. My question is:

Smoking a brisket. Started at 7pm last night at 225. Got up above 140. Smoker shut off a little after 4 am. Woke up at 7 am, internal temp was around 125f, internal temp now getting back up to 140 (8:00am)

Meat was not injected.

Toss it, or keep smoking?

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 10, 2011
keep smoking... and read above about starting a new thread

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Newbie- and can’t figure out how to start a new thread. My question is:

Smoking a brisket. Started at 7pm last night at 225. Got up above 140. Smoker shut off a little after 4 am. Woke up at 7 am, internal temp was around 125f, internal temp now getting back up to 140 (8:00am)

Meat was not injected.

Toss it, or keep smoking?
You are fine. Surface bacteria are long gone and nothing internally to worry about.

To Post, go to the appropriate forum, beef in this case. Top right, hit post new thread and follow prompts...JJ

Motorboat40

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 5, 2020
I've never heard of that rule this a 1st for me, I've always smoked my pork butts which I usually inject with apple cider vinegar and apple juice mixture with spices the night b4. I smoke it around between215 and 230 preferably sometimes I get distracted and my temp has gone lower or higher but never been a problem. But I don't even start to check the internal temperature until about 6 hrs in, I just recently got a Ink bird wireless probe that can be view on a phone or tablet so now i set an alarm for when the smoker temp goes too low or too high. But I doubt the temp on some of the bigger butts reached 140 within 4 hrs amd we have never had any problems with the meat. My cousins wife is a food inspector and she said and the temperature I'm cook at and for the long periods of time any bacteria that might have been there have long been killed off but she was very pleased to see me use a meat thermometer to check if the meat was done or not.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I've never heard of that rule this a 1st for me, I've always smoked my pork butts which I usually inject with apple cider vinegar and apple juice mixture with spices the night b4. I smoke it around between215 and 230 preferably sometimes I get distracted and my temp has gone lower or higher but never been a problem. But I don't even start to check the internal temperature until about 6 hrs in, I just recently got a Ink bird wireless probe that can be view on a phone or tablet so now i set an alarm for when the smoker temp goes too low or too high. But I doubt the temp on some of the bigger butts reached 140 within 4 hrs amd we have never had any problems with the meat. My cousins wife is a food inspector and she said and the temperature I'm cook at and for the long periods of time any bacteria that might have been there have long been killed off but she was very pleased to see me use a meat thermometer to check if the meat was done or not.

Yup----Very little chance of a problem if all other safety factors are taken care of.
However, just like what happened to the nicest Old Lady I ever met. I had bought 12 acres from her, which is how I met her. One evening she was catching a bus to go to one of those "Mystery Church Dinner" things, and she parked her car across the highway, and started walking past a parked Van along Rt 663, apparently not looking both ways, and a truck took her out right there.
I'll bet she crossed the street many times, without looking both ways, and she never had a problem before.

Bear

Last edited:

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Motorboat40, what you are doing is fine. The major point in that article is, 40 to 140 in 4, is a Good Guideline but not a Make It or Toss it Federal Regulation.
The most common use of this Guidline is, for example, determining if Injected meat is most likely still Safe when a you are smoking a Butt, you fall asleep and the Smoker Dies for X Hours.
Hit that 140 in the first 4 hours and there are Zero issues. If the Butt only got to 120 and the smoker was out 8 hours, you face a food illness risk from Bacterial Toxins. It is Extreme Situations that cause concern. If you are monitoring the IT and it takes 6 hours to get to 140 in a big butt, there is nothing to worry about because the IT was continuously rising and given Time, minutes to a couple of hours, Bacteria stops growing or Dies at 125 to 130°F. Death just happens fast at 140+.
What is Injected has to be taken into consideration too. Inject Acidic and Salty Liquids and they Inhibit Bacteria growth. The time to 140 is Less critical. Inject Homemade Pork Stock or Broth that has been sitting in the Refer a week and 4 hours may not be Fast enough to stop Bacterial Growth and Toxin production!
So 40 to 140 in 4 is a great Tool to use as a Yard Stick in many situations but is far from being a Black or White, Do or Die Regulation/Rule...JJ

Motorboat40

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 5, 2020
Thanks I haven't fallen asleep for more than 2 hrs smoking before I have started at 2am before and set an alarm to catch cat naps throughout the night.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.