4/29/19 was a good day to smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 25, 2014
Attleboro,Ma
But a Bad Day for the smokers.Mes 40 popped the GFI twice, so I grab the WSM 18.5 only to find the door did not survive the move.I was able to use the Weber 22.5 with a snake set up.
Not the best pic thru the grate.
100_8107.JPG
Hocks were cured 16 days in Pops brine I hope he is doing better.
100_8109.JPG
Gave them 5 hours of smoke Pecan & Alder Pellets
100_8110.JPG
Now what to make with them being the weather is starting to get better?
Richie

Glad to see you almost up and running again Richie. Beans and greens also cabbage. I remember the bar days of pickle pig hocks.

Warren

Pretty good looking hocks you got there, Richie. Welcome back by the way.

I sure could use a hock to make ham, cabbage and potato soup!

No added recipes, but those sure look good Richie.

Point for sure
Chris

Richie , just stopping back in to look thru you hock post . Happened to find some fresh ones the other day . I used TQ , been in the bag a couple days . Planning on 12 to 14 days .

Richie , just stopping back in to look thru you hock post . Happened to find some fresh ones the other day . I used TQ , been in the bag a couple days . Planning on 12 to 14 days .
Rich Thank You for bringing this back up I have to apologize to all of you who posted. I have no idea as to why I didn't respond.More then likely didn't get an alert or internet was down.
Thank you ALL for the comments & Likes.
Richie

Rich I never used TQ for Hocks are you dry curing or wet?
From what I remember about TQ you may want to soak them to get some of the salt out. Post it up when they are done I think I have one package left smoked.
Richie

I'm re -thinking that 10 days will be good for these . I use TQ for pork loins and bacon . Never had a salt problem , but will keep that in mind . Thanks . Figure if I use them for beans I won't salt the pot until the end . I might even look at your thread on greens . Never had them .

I'm re -thinking that 10 days will be good for these . I use TQ for pork loins and bacon . Never had a salt problem , but will keep that in mind . Thanks . Figure if I use them for beans I won't salt the pot until the end . I might even look at your thread on greens . Never had them .
Collard Greens are good I had Kale already that cooks faster then Collard. I made a Portuguese Choriso Soup last week using the Collards. Look forward to seeing what ever you decide on
Richie

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky