33 Gallon Build with Vertical Cabinet - aka "The Copper Pot"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I took the day off work today to work around the house to get ready for the snow, so I brined up some game hens - water, salt, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, sugar, black pepper, basil, oregano - for 2 hours. Here they are going on after being air dried.
IMG_2960.JPG

The fire is just right
IMG_2961.JPG
This fire makes 275 on the money. 3/4 chimney starter with oak lump, after 10 min sitting over the side burner I dump it in the basket with just a few more pieces of lump And put a 2 inch cherry split on it. After the second split is lit good like the pic it's ready to go.
IMG_2962.JPG

After 50 mins the hens went under the broiler for 3 mins to crisp up the skin and then they were matched with home made mushroom risotto, gravy, & garlic toast.
IMG_2963.JPG

:)

Ok, this post is picture heavy but pictures speak many words.....

I brined up a couple of pork sirloin tips today to put on the smoker. Here they are after about 2 hours at 250 with apple smoke.
IMG_3071.JPG

The internal temp is 130. I wanted to do a reverse seat and as I was building the fire I discovered that the VCC shelfs fit perfectly in place over the coal basket! The vertical sides of the basket lock under the shelf angle so it is completely stable.
IMG_3070.JPG

So when the loins hit 130 I put a shelf over the coals and proceeded to reverse sear.
IMG_3072.JPG

It didn't take very long per side
IMG_3073.JPG

IMG_3074.JPG

After about 8-9 minutes they were at 140 so I took them off to rest.
IMG_3075.JPG

After 15 minutes they went under the knife!
IMG_3076.JPG

Now matched with some Yukon Golds and some hard cider cream gravy!!!
IMG_3077.JPG

This is what we call a meat and potatos meal!!!

The taters are what we call spud candy! Wasn't it just Halloween?

Yea I was thinking I should have posted this cook on its own... I'm not done cooking so there will be more :-)

This is thei first time I've done pork loin tips but I do my tri tip this way and thought it should work too....it did and I over ate!

Will you adopt me, please?
I'm good at tending coals and making cocktails and all around pretty handy around the smoker and in the kitchen.
I won't need an allowance as long as you feed me, I'll protect your smokers and grills with my life.:emoji_pray:

Reactions: civilsmoker
Will you adopt me, please?
I'm good at tending coals and making cocktails and all around pretty handy around the smoker and in the kitchen.
I won't need an allowance as long as you feed me, I'll protect your smokers and grills with my life.:emoji_pray:

LOL forktender!

Thanks for all the likes, we live to share our goodies with others.....we are on smokehouse way just off of no tell um creek road.......din din is usually at 6:45....

This was a great read. Nice smoker, well documented and looks like great results. I love my vertical smoker.

This was a great read. Nice smoker, well documented and looks like great results. I love my vertical smoker.

Thanks David H! We sure to like in for sure!. After this winter I will be doing some minor updates, ie new bearings in the big wheels and the original ones have failed. I will be "rino" lining the big wheels as well. I may also change the expanded metal side burner top with SS rod.

Reactions: David Halcomb
Awesome build! Thanks for documenting the journey.
Thanks AK Jake! It was a fun build but even more fun to use. I'm assuming you are in AK? I spent a bit of time there in Chugiak.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky