32mm UMAi? Here goes!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oberst

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
St Louis
Saw SmokinAl's earlier pepperoni post on using 32mm UMAi; I have always used 50mm for my dried sausages, and with very good results. But noting the sale price on Sausage Maker and wanting to try a smaller size to fit a cracker perfectly, and maybe cut the drying time down some as well, decided to give it a try. This is the first time I've used UMAi's venison salami recipe.
32 recipe1.jpeg

Only change was to up the garlic power and added 2 T of coarse black pepper. Also, did half venison and half fatty pork butt. Next to the large grinding plate.
32 grind.jpeg

I think I hit the grind perfectly this time. I had all the meat, cut in cubes, frozen in one pound blocks. Out of the freezer for maybe an hour and still plenty hard, I used a big butcher knife to cut it up and break the pieces out, such that the meat was frozen for the grind. It really came out clean that way. Take a look at how much waste was wrapped around the grinder when finished:
32 waste.jpeg

Just about nothing! I've never had that clean a grind, but with the meat all frozen there was nothing to get wrapped around the auger and stuck in the plate. I know it's been said on the forum a million times to grind the meat cold, so I finally figured out what that meant! Made mixing the spices with a big spoon easy too. First time I got a good mix without kneading the heck out of the batch.
32 hand.jpeg

I was a bit surprised by how small the 32mm tubes turned out. No math major here. But it's the size I was thinking about; a cracker fit. Thing I'm a little unsure of is if and how the smaller tubes will affect taste. What got my attention in Al's post was how his pepperoni was ready to go in 9 days, and the results were good; his pix looked great. My 50mm UMAi batches have typically taken 5 weeks to hit a 40% moisture reduction level. Could it be that I can get the same result in under two weeks with the 32mm and keep the same quality? Time will tell, although my goal isn't to rush production at the expense of quality. If the 32mm give good results and the time is shorter because of the diameter then that's great.
32 hang.jpeg

Just moved these to the refrigerator for aging. Will report the results later.

Attachments

• 32 recipe.jpeg
    32 recipe.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 15
Looks great! I've been thinking About giving this a go. Just a bit to new at this stuff yet.

That looks awesome!! I keep saying I’ve got to jump into this, but I still don’t even have a grinder!!! That’s next I guess.

Like!!

Looks good . I got a bag of 50s I need to use up . Be back for the finish .

OB, looking good, I'm glad you added some pizzazz to that recipe. I used that same recipe once and my salami was BLAND! I have a batch of venny salami going now with a different recipe,it has been 8 days and only 20% loss(weighed initially after the 3 day hang) with a 32 MM. Hopefully you get Al's quick results in dry time and flavor ! CM

Okay; these 32mm sticks were in the fridge for a full three weeks and hit 38-41% drying. So, these 32mm casings dried about two weeks faster that the 50mm UMAi bags I have used. The texture and flavor does not seem impacted at all by using the smaller casings.
salami hand.jpg

One goal of the smaller bags was to have sliced sausage that fit nicely on the small Saltine crackers. Mission accomplished:
salami cracker.jpg

Dang, that thumb doesn't add anything! Here's what they look like sealed up. I really like these 32mm bags for certain applications. Out hunting and fishing I can see taking a bite off, like with a stick.
salami wrapped.jpg

I can also see a benefit to this size in giving sausage away. The 32mm are big enough for several people to sample and use up in a reasonable time. I have given people fairly large sausages and a month later noticed most of it in the back of the refrigerator. As much work as this stuff takes, a smaller stick might be a better give away in some cases when you don't if they are really sausage fans, or they have never tried it. People can always ask for more if they like it. Man, it's pretty hard not to like this stuff!! Haven't opened a package yet that wasn't gone in a day or two by myself.

Okay; these 32mm sticks were in the fridge for a full three weeks and hit 38-41% drying. So, these 32mm casings dried about two weeks faster that the 50mm UMAi bags I have used. The texture and flavor does not seem impacted at all by using the smaller casings.View attachment 376630

One goal of the smaller bags was to have sliced sausage that fit nicely on the small Saltine crackers. Mission accomplished:
View attachment 376631
Dang, that thumb doesn't add anything! Here's what they look like sealed up. I really like these 32mm bags for certain applications. Out hunting and fishing I can see taking a bite off, like with a stick.
View attachment 376632
I can also see a benefit to this size in giving sausage away. The 32mm are big enough for several people to sample and use up in a reasonable time. I have given people fairly large sausages and a month later noticed most of it in the back of the refrigerator. As much work as this stuff takes, a smaller stick might be a better give away in some cases when you don't if they are really sausage fans, or they have never tried it. People can always ask for more if they like it. Man, it's pretty hard not to like this stuff!! Haven't opened a package yet that wasn't gone in a day or two by myself.
Looks good!! I also think it looks more akin to the old school pepperoni I remember home made pizzas having when my grandpa would have a butcher do venison pepperoni for him. Nostalogia is a good reason to use them as well. I'm trying to figure out what I all need to order for winter UMAi making now :)

O, Great looking salami, I too used the 32mm casings for venny salami but yours looks better !! Did you add caraway or fennel/anise seeds ? like

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky