$3000. Worth of Brisket Stolen From Austin BBQ Joint

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
About HEB. Their normal price for JBS pork bellies right now is 3.79 a pound. Costco JBS pork bellies CASE PRICE last time I checked was 4.19 a pound. Probably the pork butts were priced cheaper and he was cleaning up.

About HEB. Their normal price for JBS pork bellies right now is 3.79 a pound. Costco JBS pork bellies CASE PRICE last time I checked was 4.19 a pound. Probably the pork butts were priced cheaper and he was cleaning up.
I spoke to the meat department manager just a little while ago - I think they are going to limit how many pork butts a random inconsiderate shopper can purchase at one time - especially in light of the supply chain problems the Country is having.

And folks like the rude shopper guy will cry like a baby when his neighbors vote for someone he don't like that wants to cut into his special interests...

I still like you too John! Wasn't trying to make light of it, I believe you know I don't condone theft and more than you. Nobody got hurt, and I doubt the owner was paying $150 per brisket. RAY
LOL, nope they're not paying $150. per brisket.
That's twenty 7.5lb (cooked weight) briskets valued at $20. per pound.

I bet half of us here can smoke most BBQ just as well as Franklin and the rest of the big Texas names.

But if I was on vacation I'd probably wait in line at Franklin and pay the big money, just to say I'd eaten there. Definitely would want a T-Shirt. :emoji_wink:

I heard the T-shirts are $90!

:emoji_laughing:
Nah, $24. We went there 11-12 years back, the Salt Lick too. I ever get back that way I'll go to Robert's house, I like beef ribs more than brisket. RAY

Nah, $24. We went there 11-12 years back, the Salt Lick too. I ever get back that way I'll go to Robert's house, I like beef ribs more than brisket. RAY

Can I steal one if I can't afford it? don't want to pay for it because Franklin might have more money than I do? I am asking for a morally challenged neighbor...

Last edited:
Reactions: SecondHandSmoker

Me too, I would rather be a guest at a Robert AKA tx smoker tx smoker house for a cook than any BBQ place.

I bet half of us here can smoke most BBQ just as well as Franklin and the rest of the big Texas names.

But if I was on vacation I'd probably wait in line at Franklin and pay the big money, just to say I'd eaten there. Definitely would want a T-Shirt. :emoji_wink:
Doing that in December while seeing friends in Austin. This was planned for 2020 and finally happening. More for the novelty than anything else.

I tried it 1 time the last day I was working in the Austin area a few years ago.

Best brisket I have ever eaten for sure.
With that said, my brisket is not very far off from the best. Also other really good back yard brisket I've eaten, is not that far off either.
To give a measurable comparison his is 70yd field goal in football where mine is a 62yd field goal :)

I feel like if I bought the highest quality beef briskets in the land (from best raised and best breed cows), highest quality spices in the land, and maybe obsessively fine tuned a few things here and there, that I could make up that gap quite a bit.

Will I do that? Nope! I and I'm sure many of us make damn fine brisket and love what we make with no need to go messing it up or go to extremes for minor gains.

Now I can say that the whole experience, and eating the best brisket in the world is worth it 1 time.
I would also recommend that if u go there, be sure to get the chopped brisket sandwich, it is ridiculously under priced, overloaded, and OMG soooooo goood! I feel like the turkey and the sausage can be skipped there. Which is a shame because in Texas sausage is like a stable for bbq and you can get amazing smoked/bbq turkey in many places.

Here is a big writeup i did on my visit if u ever care to prep for a visit yourself :)

I tried it 1 time the last day I was working in the Austin area a few years ago.

Best brisket I have ever eaten for sure.
With that said, my brisket is not very far off from the best. Also other really good back yard brisket I've eaten, is not that far off either.
To give a measurable comparison his is 70yd field goal in football where mine is a 62yd field goal :)

I feel like if I bought the highest quality beef briskets in the land (from best raised and best breed cows), highest quality spices in the land, and maybe obsessively fine tuned a few things here and there, that I could make up that gap quite a bit.

Will I do that? Nope! I and I'm sure many of us make damn fine brisket and love what we make with no need to go messing it up or go to extremes for minor gains.

Now I can say that the whole experience, and eating the best brisket in the world is worth it 1 time.
I would also recommend that if u go there, be sure to get the chopped brisket sandwich, it is ridiculously under priced, overloaded, and OMG soooooo goood! I feel like the turkey and the sausage can be skipped there. Which is a shame because in Texas sausage is like a stable for bbq and you can get amazing smoked/bbq turkey in many places.

Here is a big writeup i did on my visit if u ever care to prep for a visit yourself :)
Like I said, I'd try Franklin's just to cross it off the list and say I'd BTDT.
But again, when looking at many of our skills, it is an extravagance considering the costs.
Check out their menu now, prices are up 50-75%, that Tipsy Texan sammie is now $13., but damn does it sound good.

Reactions: tallbm
I just can't give my money to anyone that comes off as a snob - which, in Arron's case, equates to an arrogant price for a sammich, just because a small segment of a community is foolish enough to pay it, thereby flipping-off anyone that cannot afford to throw their money around like Ralph Cramden found a bag of money...

It is a human characteristic that I despise.

I can appreciate that the VAST majority of folks do not know how to smoke a brisket. Nor do they want to learn. When they taste one that is tender and flavorful again and again from the same place, smokers like Franklin are born. Snob or not, it's a line I will never join. And those prices? No frigging way.

He uses Prime grade briskets. The vast majority of my briskets are Select grade, a few "Choice or Better" when they are on sale. I've said before that my own probe-tender brisket results improved dramatically after a smoke with a foil wrapped 3-5 hour rest in a 170°F oven. Why so long? Long rests at 140°F+ are what places like Franklin's do. First time I did so, I was literally overcome with emotion because the results rocked my brisket world from flat to point. Same results twice more; moist, tender, and flavorful. It even tasted almost as good after the extra cooked meat was vac-sealed, frozen, and thawed.

I've watched YouTube videos where folks spend $200‐$300 for two people at Franklin's after waiting in line for hours. And they do it again and again. That's insane. A WSM, a few briskets, and a several hours reading here at SMF will save them a fortune.

I just can't give my money to anyone that comes off as a snob - which, in Arron's case, equates to an arrogant price for a sammich, just because a small segment of a community is foolish enough to pay it, thereby flipping-off anyone that cannot afford to throw their money around like Ralph Cramden found a bag of money...

It is a human characteristic that I despise.
That kind of price for a good Smoked Brisket Sammie is about par the course anywhere I've been in the last couple of years.
I'm surprised it's not more what with food inflation the last year.
Is it expensive? Sure it is, but a lot of time goes into decent Q.

Good Gosh! What I just spent today at Costco and Publix shopping for an extravagant meal menu for Saturday in celebration of my favorite sister-n-law visiting.

Reactions: mike243
That kind of price for a good Smoked Brisket Sammie is about par the course anywhere I've been in the last couple of years.
I'm surprised it's not more what with food inflation the last year.
Is it expensive? Sure it is, but a lot of time goes into decent Q.

Good Gosh! What I just spent today at Costco and Publix shopping for an extravagant meal menu for Saturday in celebration of my favorite sister-n-law visiting.
I used "sammich" as a sarcastic metaphor. I would not pay what I consider an exorbitant price anywhere, for anything, based on mystique. I'm not saying his brisket is bad, I'm just saying it isn't worth the asking price, to me, and I am certainly not waiting on or in line (depending on your bias) in the heat here in the 9th circle of hell for the "honor" of eating his over-priced brisket.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Last edited:
Just remember, Aaron Franklin won’t eat his own BBQ…

Attachments

• C1005BB3-D9D0-40F0-8903-727EB9ED7777.jpeg
    C1005BB3-D9D0-40F0-8903-727EB9ED7777.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 97B3242B-710C-4DE5-A108-5A8C04ABC6C2.jpeg
    97B3242B-710C-4DE5-A108-5A8C04ABC6C2.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 7
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky