30 lbs Hipshot Burgers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Someone was hinting that it was time I made some hipshot burgers, we hadn't had any since the move to AZ three months back
Hipshot Burgers
18 lbs. eye of round

12 lbs. porkbutt

1&1/8 cup Soy Protein Concentrate

9 tbsp canning salt

1/3 cup powdered dextrose

1/3 cup ground pepper

3cups cold milk
First thing was to get the bone out of the two small porkbutts
DSCN1155.JPG

Then get everything lined up for some knife work
DSCN1156.JPG

Cut all the beef and pork set for the grinder
DSCN1157.JPG

Ran everything thru a medium plate, about all I ever seem to use
DSCN1159.JPG

Mixed the dry ingredients with the cold milk and hooked the mixer to my meat grinder
DSCN1158.JPG

Everything went for a nice five minute ride. I can't express enough how the latest addition to my gear saves my worn out arthritic shoulders, cranking the old one was a killer. It tilts!
DSCN1161.JPG

Time to let the grind rest in the fridge overnight and tidy up
DSCN1162.JPG

Up early while it's cool to get on with making burger patties, each weighs 8oz.
DSCN1163.JPG

DSCN1165.JPG

Got things done in good time, I don't like letting burger meat sit out too long. 61 burgers, minus the two we had for dinner last night, sitting on trays in the freezer. Later this afternoon I'll vac-seal the burgers in two packs and a few singles, should last awhile. We like these burgers more than straight fillet mignon or ribeye steaks run thru the grinder, always juicy and great flavor. Another recipe taught to me by my departed friend Chuckwagon. RAY

Very tasty looking burgers! I've bookmarked to try this. Point!

I have been eyeballing one of those mixers to add to the arsenal. Having space to store it is the only thing stopping me. I've just been using a concrete mixing paddle on a drill in a 5 gallon food grade bucket. That has actually been working pretty good.

Very tasty looking burgers! I've bookmarked to try this. Point!

I have been eyeballing one of those mixers to add to the arsenal. Having space to store it is the only thing stopping me. I've just been using a concrete mixing paddle on a drill in a 5 gallon food grade bucket. That has actually been working pretty good.

Yeah, storage has become quite a issue for me also. Back in CA we had a butlers pantry right next to the kitchen where the grinder, 20lb sausage stuffer, meat mixer were kept. Now I have to lump everything from the garage, I'm gonna be 68 soon, all that stuff seems heavier than it used to be. I'm going to rig up a hand truck and just start wheeling it in and out. What used to take a few hours takes a couple of days lately. Getting old sucks, but it sure beats the hell out of not getting any older! RAY

Reactions: Plinsc and Ben58
That's a nice setup you have. The longer I'm on this forum the more I want to spend a bunch of money. I like the concrete mixing paddle idea.

Wow , nice work ! You got a system down , and that almost makes it easy . You should post the cook part of this , would love to see that .

Ray great job on the burgers! I have a hard time making that many 2 oz sliders LOL Likes
Richie

Thank y'all so much! I can not expound enough on what a Godsend that mixer is. My shoulders are shot after 34 years swinging a hammer and golf clubs, they hurt all the time. I've had both hips replaced but am too chicken to let the docs cut my shoulders, have a friend who went that way had came out with serious bad luck.
Chopsaw: We like the burgers best cooked over hot coals on the Weber at 3&1/2 minutes each side, not overcooked. My favorite burger is a southwest hipshot cheese burger on a home made bun with my maple-honey bacon, maters from the backyard. Pretty much did everything but milk the cow for the cheddar! RAY
xxxxx.jpg

Reactions: browneyesvictim
All Looks Awesome, Ray!!
Sounds Great too!!
Like.
Glad you left the onions together, so I could remove them & Fry them.

Bear

Reactions: sawhorseray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky