3 Bellies on the Smokin'-It#3

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
looks like a great start. I am a great fan of the dry cure due to our situation.

now it appears you are cold smoking this? if so for how long or how many rotations.

we find that 8-12hrs on smoke with 7-10 hrs resting in the deep cooler for a total of thre rotations is perfect for us. I then wrap it and shove it back into the deep cooler for a rest (3-4 days (48-96hrs)) minimum before slicing.

will stay waiting and watching
110.gif

keep on smoking,

Tom

I'll probably hit them a couple more times. Last batch I did 40 hours, a little too much.

Dert, morning... think about this.... Weigh each belly... weigh out 2% salt, 1-2% sugar, and 1.1 grams cure #1 per pound of belly.... rub it all in and saran wrap like you did for 10-14 days... rinse, dry, form the pellicle and smoke... If you like more sugar or salt etc., add more next batch until it tastes perfect to you... no soaking.. no guess work on how much salt you are removing... no water added back into the belly... belly always comes out the same every batch... for more intense bacon flavor, after the rinse, let the bellies rest in the refer, on a rack, un wrapped, for 1-2 weeks so it can dry out more.. Now you are getting close to 1950's bacon.....

My last batch I did just that... Bride said it was the absolute best bacon...

spices can be added during the rub step... during the drying step.... for additional flavoring....

Dave
Just wondering can this be done with BBB. It's hard to get pork belly where I'm at.

Dert, morning... think about this.... Weigh each belly... weigh out 2% salt, 1-2% sugar, and 1.1 grams cure #1 per pound of belly.... rub it all in and saran wrap like you did for 10-14 days... rinse, dry, form the pellicle and smoke... If you like more sugar or salt etc., add more next batch until it tastes perfect to you... no soaking.. no guess work on how much salt you are removing... no water added back into the belly... belly always comes out the same every batch... for more intense bacon flavor, after the rinse, let the bellies rest in the refer, on a rack, un wrapped, for 1-2 weeks so it can dry out more.. Now you are getting close to 1950's bacon.....

My last batch I did just that... Bride said it was the absolute best bacon...

spices can be added during the rub step... during the drying step.... for additional flavoring....

Dave
Just wondering can this be done with BBB. It's hard to get pork belly where I'm at.

Yes.... split the butt by removing the blade bone... to 2 halves... The fatty half makes good bacon... The lean half, not so much...

I'm so glad Costco started selling pork bellies. The ones I got from the Sugarland Costco are beautiful. From Swift, no less. I'm putting the first of 90 pounds on later today after the pellicle forms.

Dave,
that is good information about the differences of the two sides. would or could the leaner side be treated like a rustic CB ? or is the meat strucsture / Muscle just all wrong? 

Keep on Smokin,
Tom
If you use the lean side of a butt to make CBwhat IT would you go to. I know butts are not as tinder as a loin

BBB from any part of the butt is good! The more meaty parts are great! For people trying to eat a little better, maybe a thought. I may never buy "store bought" "bacon" again....

BBB from any part of the butt is good! The more meaty parts are great! For people trying to eat a little better, maybe a thought. I may never buy "store bought" "bacon" again....

I agree. When I make BBB I always use the top and bottom.

The key is to slice fairly thin or the bacon can be a bit chewy.

If you use the lean side of a butt to make CBwhat IT would you go to. I know butts are not as tinder as a loin
it started off as a thought when I read one side would be leaner than the other. you bring up a good point.

if I was to try it I would cure it dry just as I would any CB then my guess would be to warm smoke it to a 145 - 150 degree "IT" then rest it and slice it thinner than I would the CB. then when I used it  would fry/warm up quicker . this is probably what I would try for my first go around.and adjust from there as needed.

Keep On Smokin,

Tom 

Last edited:

I agree. When I make BBB I always use the top and bottom.

The key is to slice fairly thin or the bacon can be a bit chewy.

Both of you could think out of the box and try something new....

Try what new? I'm lost now. Nothing new here to try from what I can see.

Yeah, I guess I don't understand the purpose of your post.

My point was that you don't have to abandon the bottom half of the Butt fron the BBB process.

Of course there are all kinds of other things you can do with it.

Last edited:

I know this has been said many times by many more knowledgeable than myself but.... I also find drying/heating the pellets prior to use removes any residual moisture collected and then when starting making sure you get a really good hot cherry of fire in the center of the pellets . I even at times have heated up the lighting hole cherry red as well as the left side corner of the hole to add more heat to make sure the pellets are and stay lit and then I place the unit into one of the smokers at that time. Just remember which side to grab LOL . it might sound funny/ignorant until you have done it a few times with out thinking..... some times you just have to put the refreshment down first
Beer.gif
 there might have been a wind coming in from a not normal direction and caused an air flow issue. when the breeze comes up the river I set a deflector up on my MES 40 because the top vent is on the side facing it. it is not big but enough to stop the wind from blowing straight at it. my other s have rear vents or top vents so typically not been an issue.

Keep on Smokin,

Tom
I can relate to burning a finger a time or two myself...

"My point was that you don't have to abandon the bottom half of the Butt fron the BBB process.

Of course there are all kinds of other things you can do with it."

Yes, I know. As I already stated. We seem to be going in circles here. I make BBB with the whole butt. I've done many, MANY other things with butts. I like the leaner bottom as well as the fattier top. I've tried many taste variations. I can put BBB where ever I so choose on the taste map.

"BBB from any part of the butt is good! The more meaty parts are great! For people trying to eat a little better, maybe a thought. I may never buy "store bought" "bacon" again...."

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky