3 Bellies on the Smokin'-It#3

Discussion in 'Bacon' started by dert, Sep 19, 2015.

1. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

My point being, the fatty half of the butt makes great bacon... looks like belly..... while the other half, is less than desirable for BBB considering how little fat is in it.....

Chef Rob describes making BBB in several threads.... That's what the 4 links were there for...

2. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Lookin good Dert!!

A full smoker is a happy smoker

DS

3. dert

dert Master of the Pit

Ok, back on track here...

Just back in town from the west coast and put the bellies into the smoker at 2:30...10/2/2015.

4. dert

dert Master of the Pit

Here some pics are:

As you can see the door just hits the top belly, almost too big for the SI#3, I'll whittle some off for dinner tonight.

And some ripe tomatoes left in the garden...BLTs for dinner!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  5. dert

dert Master of the Pit

Dave I was out in Omak on Monday and Tuesday... Really amazing the devastation from the fires!

One thing that amazed me was on the side of the highway coming into town from grand Cooley the guard rails were burned out...

Some pics:

Over spokane

The drive from spokane to Omak:

The drive from Omak to Seattle:

6. dert

dert Master of the Pit

I did make it to spokane spice finally, picked up a hank of sheep casings and some pepper stick mix...

7. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I love that place!!! Go there all the time, you will like the pepper stick mix

DS

8. dert

dert Master of the Pit

I got a few things for Father's Day this year from them:

Trying to recreate my local butcher shop's snack (pepper) sticks.

9. dert

dert Master of the Pit

They use natural casings...

10. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That plateau where they grow wheat is something to see....

11. dert

dert Master of the Pit

I've only burned through about five inches on the amazen smoker because it keeps going out...relit again this AM.

12. dave17a

dave17a Smoking Fanatic

What Dave said on aging couple weeks UMMM UMMMM GOOD. Did that myself last year first time. Whole process about a month

13. dert

dert Master of the Pit

Pulled some out and ran it through my Hobart slicer for breakfast... This was the white sugar version:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  14. dert

dert Master of the Pit

The wife and kids wanted it sliced thin more like commercial bacon. Although a tad bit salty it is pretty good with the light smoke in fact it does remind me of commercial bacon.

I only have about eight hours of cold smoke on this.

15. dert

dert Master of the Pit

BLTs-

16. Dert,

looks full circle..... have to say it.... looks like happy wife now happy life.

Tom

17. dert

dert Master of the Pit

Done until I slice up later this week...

Burned this much of my pellets over three days:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  18. dert

dert Master of the Pit

Mellow-n'

19. hank2000

hank2000 Smoking Fanatic

Just wondering since brown sugar burns when you frey bacon. Can u use sugar in th raw ( terbanoto ) or a white sugar instead or am I just crazy. Lol

20. we use turbinado in some of our rub mixes (mainly for the clumping up of the brown sugar). I have been changing out brown sugar with the turbinado in a couple of my BBQ sauces trying to control burn taste but it does change the taste profile. it is looking promising but not convinced as of yet. I guess I would say play with it with a couple of known recipes and see if you notice a difference. in some rubs I leave it coarse and others I will toss it into the Cuisinart to make it a fine powder. it does not matter in a wet sauce.

Keep On Smokin,

Tom