3-2-1 Rib Method Thoughts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have done ribs every which way and it depends on the mood.....

But as a general rule, I tend to prefer 321 @ 225 for spares: These are close to FOTB but not 100% FOTB
321Spares.jpeg

But for Baby Backs (I trim all the loin meat off) I don't wrap and run them @ 235 till tender, flex bent test (INT 196 ish) usually 3.5 hours with glazing .....Then I glaze and wrap and rest (30-60 min) at temp (170)....
BBacks.jpeg

Trimmed baby backs like the above rule in our house! These have just the right amount of bite and are not FOTB!

I agree it’s personal preference. I will do the 3-2-1 most times when I want to have the meat slide off the bone but will just go by bend and feel most other times. Just mood I’m in. Best thing to do is experiment with several racks until you find what makes your taste buds go crazy!

Reactions: Gabzola
I don't wrap. Tried the 3-2-1- once, led to FOTB, rib failure. Since getting rid of my offset I use a Weber kettle, charcoal chain and wood chunks, like that more than the SnS. I start toothpick probing at around five hours in, usually do some sauce then too. I usually pull an hour later when the bend seems right, around 196º-200º according to my Mk4, clean bite. I don't smoke anything but spares, practice makes perfect. RAY

View attachment 660402

Those are some good looking ribs right there my friend. 🧑‍🍳:emoji_yum:

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: Gabzola
I have done ribs every which way and it depends on the mood.....

But as a general rule, I tend to prefer 321 @ 225 for spares: These are close to FOTB but not 100% FOTB
View attachment 660957

But for Baby Backs (I trim all the loin meat off) I don't wrap and run them @ 235 till tender, flex bent test (INT 196 ish) usually 3.5 hours with glazing .....Then I glaze and wrap and rest (30-60 min) at temp (170)....
View attachment 660958
Trimmed baby backs like the above rule in our house! These have just the right amount of bite and are not FOTB!

Another set of great looking ribs. Had I not had some ribs for lunch, I may have been licking the screen. :emoji_yum::emoji_astonished::emoji_laughing:

JC :emoji_cat:

I prefer ribs to have a tug clean from the bone with your teeth kind of vibe! I do not wrap and generally, St. Louis style ribs take 5.5 hours with the egg at 225*. That can change a bit on any given day. I mostly use bend test to determine doneness.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky