3-2-1 NON-sweet ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

annaraven

Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Sillycon Valley
Hi folks, 

What would you put in your foil (if anything) if you have someone who prefers "dry rub" bbq (no sauces), but VERY tender meat, and NOT sweet? (He won't eat sweet and sour or even applesauce with his pork chops or anything.) We *do* want the "Fall off the bone tender". 

I'm smoking spare ribs with a bit of applewood chips (he's okay with that), but wondering about the foil step. Most instructions seem to have lots of honey or brown sugar or other sweeteners, which is nothing he would eat.

Would a couple tbsp of plain apple juice give some moisture without sweetening the ribs much? Suggestions welcome. Thanks all!

Personally I don't even think you'll need the apple juice. The ribs are so juicy still at the foiling stage that their own juices are more than sufficient to braise them to that fall off the bone texture. I would go naked the whole way.

Oh good! Hoping this works. When I went to foil the ribs, it looked like they'd pulled away from the bones a lot more than 1/4". I've been monitoring the temps and kept it around 200-225. Oops. Guess I should've checked them more often. (Now I know to start checking after 2 hours probably.) Hope they do okay anyways.  

The pull away from the bone isn't always the best way to tell how they are cooking. As your seeing, some ribs depending on fattiness might shrink more than others. The best way to tell if they're finished would be a bend test. Use the search bar of google for some images of what it looks like. 

But since you're foiling, they're gonna be falling off the bone, so I would go picking them and I'd just go with the 3-2-1 times..

Also 
th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

The pull away from the bone isn't always the best way to tell how they are cooking. As your seeing, some ribs depending on fattiness might shrink more than others. The best way to tell if they're finished would be a bend test. Use the search bar of google for some images of what it looks like. 

But since you're foiling, they're gonna be falling off the bone, so I would go picking them and I'd just go with the 3-2-1 times..

Also 
th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif
What's a qview? <--newbie

Final question (Hah!) - around 2:40 now: the 2 hour foiling period is done. We're not eating until about 7pm. Should I put the ribs (in foil) in the fridge until an hour before dinner and then finish them up just in time for dinner? Leave them on the grill in extra foil? Something else? For the finish - I presume I put a meat thermometer in and bring them up to a temp. (I realize this is off-topic. sorry.) 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky