3-2-1 Method question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
3-2-1 for Spare Ribs; 2-2-1 is for baby back. Not many other cuts it works with that I have found although I am a foil fan and use it to help get through a stall on longer smokes. 3-2-1 has worked for me on beef ribs as well. Below is a rack of beef ribs I did a while back. They were pretty big and ended up being more like a 3-3-1 to get the result I wanted. 

Does this method only apply to ribs or can it be used for other meats, Enlighten me!

Thanks,

Steve
It's really a guideline for ribs ........ even individual racks of ribs cook differently so times vary all over the place.  This is a good start point.  Sometimes I foil (3-2-1) and sometimes I don't, just cook straight through.  If I'm going to foil, I cook my ribs until I get the color and bark I want, then into the foil with stuff they go.  I check them at about 45 minutes to see the doneness.  Once done, out they come, back onto the grates and follow up with a nice glaze.  If cooking straight through, cook until they pass the bend test, glaze until set and eat.

Texas Crutch really isn't needed on ribs at all - it is more of a competition thing (to get a very slight edge).  For briskets and butts, it has more value to help get through the stall.

I've done w/ & w/o foil. I think you tend to get a juicier rib with foiling. At least, that's been my experience.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky