3-2-1 Method question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stevetheteacher, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Does this method only apply to ribs or can it be used for other meats, Enlighten me!

Thanks,

Steve

2. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Although I don't use that method, I've only heard it working for pork spare ribs and beef ribs.  Baby backs are on a different schedule. 

3. I'm done with the 3-2-1 and 2-2-1 for ribs. Stopped using foil all together and getting great results. Just cook your ribs til they're done.

4. trabba

trabba Fire Starter

3-2-1 for Spare Ribs; 2-2-1 is for baby back. Not many other cuts it works with that I have found although I am a foil fan and use it to help get through a stall on longer smokes. 3-2-1 has worked for me on beef ribs as well. Below is a rack of beef ribs I did a while back. They were pretty big and ended up being more like a 3-3-1 to get the result I wanted. 

5. It's really a guideline for ribs ........ even individual racks of ribs cook differently so times vary all over the place.  This is a good start point.  Sometimes I foil (3-2-1) and sometimes I don't, just cook straight through.  If I'm going to foil, I cook my ribs until I get the color and bark I want, then into the foil with stuff they go.  I check them at about 45 minutes to see the doneness.  Once done, out they come, back onto the grates and follow up with a nice glaze.  If cooking straight through, cook until they pass the bend test, glaze until set and eat.

6. westby

westby Smoking Fanatic

Texas Crutch really isn't needed on ribs at all - it is more of a competition thing (to get a very slight edge).  For briskets and butts, it has more value to help get through the stall.

7. mneeley490

mneeley490 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I've done w/ & w/o foil. I think you tend to get a juicier rib with foiling. At least, that's been my experience.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015