3,2,1 method for ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Agreed, with care to not take them to the FOTB state, wrapping can bring additional flavor. Harry Soo's video is a real good one to watch for sure.

Subjectivity is the 'spice' in our Smoking Lives :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_wink:

Reactions: thirdeye
You hit the nail squarely on the head.... try and become a good enough cook that you can please everyone every time.

Cooking by time is as inaccurate as using a thermometer to gauge doneness. Watching the color and probing are better indicators. The "number ribs" like I mentioned above is just a way that cooks can talk to other cooks, I don't think I've ever had ribs wrapped for 2 hours and I rarely return ribs to the pit for more than 10 minutes.

Competition rib cooks like the ones that cook at Reno, or at a peoples choice contest often do not wrap because they are cooking 20 racks or more. In fact some have open top grills because they are sort of bar-b-grilling the ribs. Some don't remove the membrane because they use it for protection against the heat. Barbecue restaurants don't usually wrap either, they just don't have the time.

Competition cooks (like KCBS competitions) that turn in all 4 barbecue meats almost always use a wrapped step, because the rules describe in detail what the judges look for when scoring. And frankly they don't shy too far away from what's expected from the judges. Some teams that are cooking very hot on drums are getting away from wrapping, or using a very short wrap time, and in the end they are all trying to give a judge one good bite. I'm a certified Judge, and I cook too, but I don't make full blown competition barbecue at home. In fact I rarely use sauce at home. I prefer a Memphis style dry rib, but I use a wrapped step and a boat step, here is what a typical backyard rack of mine look like.
View attachment 451780
For competition, I cook them almost the same, but the flavor profile is a little sweeter for judges, and of course I glaze the sauce since one score is for appearance.
View attachment 451781
thanks for all the good info in this thread. I wish my ribs looked like either one of those. I have been dealing with overly dry ribs lately so last run I tried to shorten the cook time and wrap in butcher paper rather than foil. Ended up with ribs that didn't pull cleanly off the bone. I hate that worse than FOTB actually, I tried the advice to cook to temp but honestly I get readings all over the place from different parts of the ribs. I always to the bend test, but have varied results even when they bend easily.

I don't wrap, spritz, temp, or follow specific guidelines. I've smoked naked spare ribs anywhere from 225F to 300F. The true art of smoking is learning what the rack of ribs is telling you when you probe it. A rack of ribs will tell you when it is precisely how you like it. I like mine with just a hint of resistance. My wife wants zero resistance. Both turn out juicy and tender.

Let's say you throw ribs in your smoker at 250F. Don't wrap, spritz, or do anything to them. After three hours, go out and probe the ribs in a couple of places. Remember how that probe felt and how much resistance there was to your push. At three hours you have a dry, collagen filled rack of ribs that will fight the probe.

Wait an hour, and do it again. Notice the difference. Now start probing it every 30 minutes. You'll give yourself a nice education about how that rack of ribs talks to your probe. No more dry, undercooked ribs. And no, probing the rack won't make it dry out.

Ya gotta learn to speak rib.

Last edited:
thanks for all the good info in this thread. I wish my ribs looked like either one of those. I have been dealing with overly dry ribs lately so last run I tried to shorten the cook time and wrap in butcher paper rather than foil. Ended up with ribs that didn't pull cleanly off the bone. I hate that worse than FOTB actually, I tried the advice to cook to temp but honestly I get readings all over the place from different parts of the ribs. I always to the bend test, but have varied results even when they bend easily.
Thanks for the kind words. Ribs are a good starting place for barbecue because somewheres between 3 and 5 hours is all they take, and you have options to explore. When I was taught how to barbecue, there were no pit thermometers, no meat thermometers, not too many rubs.... it was all about sight, sound, flavor and tenderness. Heck, the first smoker I bought that had a real thermometer was about 20 years ago, and then I jumped right in with cable probes, instant read, Gurus and all that. It made me a better cook. The previous 20 years was not bad by any means because no one else had technology on their side.

Now I've realized the longer I cook, the less complicated it becomes, which is a good thing.

Dry ribs is often under cooked. Are they chewy, too? That confirms under cooked.
I prefer fall off the bone (FOTB) to under cooked.
Dry ribs.... as in using mostly a rub, verses a glazed finish or a wet finish. The rib itself is cooked tender and is moist, they just have a pronounced barky texture So this style is popular in Memphis (and in my backyard), and you see more wet ribs in Kansas City. Both styles can be mopped or sprayed while cooking, but dry ribs might get less.

I wasn't replying to you thirdeye thirdeye on dry ribs.

I was replying to masssmoke masssmoke on comment of dry ribs.
Dry (chewy) ribs is almost always under cooked. Fully cooked (and over cooked) renders the fats and connective tissues to lubricate the meat.

Wrapping in foil or butcher paper Is something I don't use in my cooking.
Smoke doesn't add to meat that is wrapped. If you add liquids, that means you boil the ribs.
I'm not a fan of bark (caramelized sugar) on ribs.

I don't wrap, spritz, temp, or follow specific guidelines.
Ya gotta learn to speak rib.
Reader's Digest version of noboundaries noboundaries post, but best conclusion.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky