~2wk cured ~5lb boneless pork loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hamdrew

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 17, 2021
Only my third smoke on this new chargriller smokin champ, which was apparently assembled by a bunch of jabronis. must be karma for losing so many tools during a move this summer

pretty much pops brine for the most part, havent been into curing too long. smuckers grape jelly instead of honey (wish I used Welch's, smuckers is too sweet), one really good scorpion from this season and a little 5 spice in the brine, one more and a little more in the rub. thats about it for fancy stuff.

hickory and cherry, gauge was reading ~325* and a ~105min cook time for a ~5lb loin lined up with it. Real cold here today but not too windy. Honestly thought the gauge/seal (i.e. mostly tightening/rescrewing i had to do) was off as I like loin rare-medrare. Spritzed after 1hr and the thermometer hadnt budged (starts at 120*), 45min later was ~155*. Hoped I'd at least shocked it a little, brushed with my finishing sauce and flipped twice over a few minutes. Pulled and wrapped right after the last glaze for ~30min then sliced off a chunk for tonight's sandos before throwing the rest back in the cooler for a little while longer.

after slicing tossed with a tiny bit of finishing sauce and tiny bit of boar's head sandwich oil/dressing(?whatever it's called)

chips are just guerrero flour tortillas dusted with mostly cavenders (for best results, remove seasoned future-chips and separate all that leftover seasoning that settled. add a little egg yolk and that leftover seasoning, re-toss) , fried in a half-inch or so in palm oil. meant to use corn oil being such a small amount necessary- I'm not THAT broke right now! :emoji_joy: ~325-350*F or med-low to med heat on the stove, i use my 3gal stockpot inside but like using a 5gal stockpot on a propane burner outside when cooking for plenty. Anyways, ~345*F or whatever, grab a stack of seasoned chips. with your non dominant hand and be prepared to quickly deal them into the pot. once the surface is covered (should only take a few seconds), stir them for a few seconds with your basket and pull when they start to puff. season again if you like. not pictured was a real good greek salad and a tzaziki thickened up with cream cheese i made for the chips.

[rendering the ~1lb of mostly fat trim with some king oscar mediterranean sardines, ovendried cherry tomatoes from last seasons monsters, and dusty cans from the pantry for a delicious bolognese-ish "red gravy". That and the ham/bacon should make for a nice pizza sub on Tuesday. smoking a turkey tomorrow (probably on the WSM but i do need practice with the new one.. we'll see) which might end up on that hoagie too]

Attachments

• 1st jan17 - Copy.jpg
    1st jan17 - Copy.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 376
  • 2nd jan17 - Copy.jpg
    2nd jan17 - Copy.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 51
  • 3rd jan17 - Copy.jpg
    3rd jan17 - Copy.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:
Sliced up the rest today. Most work I had to do to it yet for $1.19/lb loin (boneless!).

Portioned out a half pint of that meat "red gravy" too for tonight's hoagies and maybe a little macaroni (i like shells myself) as a side in the next couple weeks.

Pineapples were 80c so it might very well be a hawaiian pizza hoagie. little hot mustard and maybe some pickled hot banana peppers. That gravy's 100% strong enough to stand up to the flavor, real sardine and thyme heavy

Attachments

• KIMG0534 - Copy.JPG
    KIMG0534 - Copy.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 19
  • KIMG0533 - Copy.JPG
    KIMG0533 - Copy.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 18
  • KIMG0529 - Copy.JPG
    KIMG0529 - Copy.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 23
  • KIMG0527 - Copy.JPG
    KIMG0527 - Copy.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky