2nd Try Success!!! Thanks to All of You and the AMNPS!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

unity5358

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 18, 2013

Hello, Everyone.  Well, I shared my tail of woe with my first attempt with the AMNPS: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/138133/been-lurking-now-in-with-ya-and-bummin  
icon_redface.gif

I got a lot of great input from some of you wonderful people, I applied it and I'm happy to report that my 2nd try was a great success.  I make my own tasso for use in all kinds of cajun & creaole dishes that I make.  That is what this run was smoking, 5 lbs. of it.  Shoulder picnic, cured with the rub 5 days, smoked for 5 hours starting at 120 and going up in 10 degree increments per hour.  The AMNPS was loaded with pre-baked  BBQers Delight Pecan pellets.  I think pre-baking the pellets at 170 for 30 min. was a key factor in the performance of the AMNPS ( thanks SeenRed!).  The AMNPS performed like a champ pumping out TBS for 5 hours on on row, plus the turn.  It made the turn perfectly.  All the other usual protocol from Todd was followed.  I left the top vent full open.  I did add a 3" elbow.  I think that was also a positive.  Because I didn't need the MES very hot for the tasso, keeping the vent all the way open even though it's still cold out (30s) didn't cause a problem for getting and keeping the temps I needed.  So, I think the combination of the open vent, chimney and pre-baked pellets made all the difference.  I was discouraged, but now I'm back to encouraged.  thanks evryone who helped me.  This is a great group of friends.

The AMNPS-equipped MES puttin' out the beautiful TBS!

After 5 hours the tasso is up to temp (152) and the AMNPS just won't quit!

The AMNPS put out 5 hours of TBS on one row and made the turn perfectly.  It would have kept going another 10 hours I guess!

This thing just wouldn't quit!  Get one!

The finished tasso at 152 internal temp.

And I gather you all call this "The Money Shot" (TMS?).  We won't delve innto the origin of that terminology.

So, thanks again to this wonderful, supportive, helpful, knowledgable, generous group of folks.

The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace. - Numbers 6:24 

Congrats, Ed!  I'm glad you got that AMNPS lined out and working the way it should.  Its a great little gizmo, all props to Todd for inventing such an awesome tool.  Thanks for posting the qview!  It looks great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky