2nd Try at Jerky Last Sunday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alelover

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
London Broils were BOGO at the Bi-Lo so naturally I got a couple. Thought I'd make twice as much this time since the last batch didn't last long enough.

e95c13d7_IMG_1141.jpg

Got it cut up and trimmed of fat. Chilled them in the freezer for about an hour or so to facilitate easier slicing.

791eb066_IMG_1142.jpg

Accurately weighed my meat. 7 1/2 lbs.

8be77ce6_IMG_1145.jpg

Made my rub with TQ and some spices.

17ef1abe_IMG_1144.jpg

Ground some fresh black pepper. 1 1/2 Tablespoons goes much quicker with a drill.

3c1054b1_IMG_1147.jpg

aadb8b3a_IMG_1148.jpg

f6d6b4aa_IMG_1149.jpg

Got out my trusty slicer.

33069078_IMG_1153.jpg

And sliced up 7 1/2 pounds of meat. Gave them a little beat down to tenderize them a little. Not as lean as the last London Broils I got.

458a7ee4_IMG_1150.jpg

8ba96af8_IMG_1154.jpg

Oh to be on Meat Mountain.

152027bf_IMG_1155.jpg

Rubbed them down with all the cure and spice mix. Then let them sit for an hour before marinating. That's marinating with a "T".

d77fddae_IMG_1157.jpg

While I waited I mixed up the marinade. That's marinade with a "D". Basically just soy sauce, L & P thin, L&P Thick, molasses and coke.

5e071733_IMG_1160.jpg

I did 2 lbs with the same marinade but with Cavender's and honey added.

3724c827_IMG_1159.jpg

Bagged them up for the night.

195bb912_IMG_1163.jpg

It's lunch time. See you in an hour or so.

popcorn.gif

OK We're back. Now that the meat has marinated for 19 hours we rinse 'em and rack 'em. Pat them dry with some paper towel. I put newspaper under it so I use less paper towel.

269a8a6b_IMG_1167.jpg

Then it's off to the smoker we go. Got a little fire going and filled my HAAS with apple, pecan and hickory dust. Used some Harris-Teeter hardwood briquettes. They don't burn as hot as RO lump so I thought they'd be a good choice for this application. After that tray burned up I refilled with some peach dust and let it burn.

49b148e7_IMG_1170.jpg

Got it up over 100

602080d4_IMG_1173.jpg

...and added the meat.

82a4b9c1_IMG_1171.jpg

Some TBS.

64b5ee93_IMG_1174.jpg

Bringing it up to 135ish. Let it sit there for about 4 hours.

4014a3f1_IMG_1176.jpg

b796a802_IMG_1179.jpg

Looking pretty good so far.

13f5a7a2_IMG_1184.jpg

Brought it up to 155ish for a couple hours.

6583ac8e_IMG_1181.jpg

e34c1064_IMG_1182.jpg

Starting to look like jerky.

645f4a9e_IMG_1184.jpg

TBS at night.

d29bf38d_IMG_1185.jpg

97d8a7bc_IMG_1187.jpg

Brought it up to 160ish for the last 2 hours.

93d845ec_IMG_1189.jpg

Took it off after 10 hrs. It was thicker than last time. I thought pounding it thinner would make it thinner. It went back to its original thickness just about while it smoked. Strange I thought.

It's a bit meatier than last time but fairly tender as jerky goes. Tastes really good. It was a bit oily too. Probably because the meat had more marbleization than my last one. Soaked it all up with paper towel.

789b8326_IMG_1195.jpg

Bends good without breaking and a cross section looks good I think.

82a17fb9_IMG_1190.jpg
ee297313_IMG_1191.jpg

That's All Folks.

Thanks for watching.

That looks awesome Scott !!!

Thanks for showing!   Even got some BearView----Don't usually get BearView of Jerky!!!!

Bear

Looks Great Scott...  Nice step by step also...

Thank you much. It tastes real good too. A little meatier than I planned but good. Kind of between jerky and kippered on some pieces but closer to jerky I guess. I put half in the fridge just in case it's not dry enough to be left out. And since that mass produced stuff is over a buck an ounce I think I did very well.
yahoo.gif

Tell me about the buck an ounce thing. My son who is 15 can scarf down a bag in seconds. I want to make him some of this, but I don't understand all the QLingo you used LOL! Will ask you about it later this week, gotta make Father's Day breakfast and get off to church. Looks wonderful Scott!

Thank you much. It tastes real good too. A little meatier than I planned but good. Kind of between jerky and kippered on some pieces but closer to jerky I guess. I put half in the fridge just in case it's not dry enough to be left out. And since that mass produced stuff is over a buck an ounce I think I did very well.
yahoo.gif

Great job Scott. On the Milwaukee thing, suggest a trade for some squeeky cheese and you have a winner and you can see how good this guy is

Last edited:
Great looking jerky..

I see that bird still lives there.

I keep one shed door open. Stuck my hand into one of my bags of chunk for yesterdays a smoke and a bird flew out of it..Made a nest in the bag.

Quite fulfilling to see you know your Ts and Ds too....hahahahahahahahahahaha

Have a great day!!

Craig

Great looking jerky..

I see that bird still lives there.

I keep one shed door open. Stuck my hand into one of my bags of chunk for yesterdays a smoke and a bird flew out of it..Made a nest in the bag.

Quite fulfilling to see you know your Ts and Ds too....hahahahahahahahahahaha

Have a great day!!

Craig
LOL---That would make me jump!!!

I had an old fishing creel hanging on the wall in my garage. A bird built a nest in it, by going in and out through the hole in the lid that you drop fish through.

Luckily it wasn't the creel I always used.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky